Solving for inertia and angular speed

In summary, the skater starts with an angular speed of 6.0 rad/s and decreases her moment of inertia by 50% by changing the position of her arms. Using the formula I(initial)ω(initial) = I(final)ω(final), we can solve for the final angular speed, which is 12 rad/s. The moment of inertia and mass are not interchangeable in this example, but the ratio of before and after she moves her arms is what matters. The final moment of inertia is 1/2 the initial and this can be plugged into the formula to solve for ωfinal.
physicsballer2
A 60kg skater begins a spin with an angular speed of 6.0 rad/s. By changing the position of her arms, the skater decreases her moment of inertia by 50%. What is the skater's final angular speed?

I(initial)ω(initial) = I(final)ω(final)

I used 60 kg as my inertia, is inertia and mass interchangeable in this example? Then I used 30kg because her inertia is 1/2 in the final inertia

60 (6.0) = 30ω

360 = 30ω

ω = 12 rad/sec

I said above but my biggest problem with this equation is it seems to simple, I did not think mass and inertia were able to be interchangeable, but there is no radius or time given so I am not sure what else I could solve for. If my answer is correct, why is inertia and mass equal in this example?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsballer2 said:
If my answer is correct, why is inertia and mass equal in this example?
Mass and moment of inertia are not equal. You won't need any values for the moment of inertia; All that matters in the ratio of before and after she moves her arms.

Just call the initial moment of inertia I. What does that make the final moment of inertia?

The final moment of inertia is 1/2 the initial, so .5I

physicsballer2 said:
The final moment of inertia is 1/2 the initial, so .5I
Exactly. So just plug those values into the formula and solve for ωfinal. (The "I" will cancel.)

I understand your confusion about the interchangeability of mass and inertia in this example. Inertia is a property of matter that describes its resistance to change in motion, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In most cases, mass and inertia are not interchangeable, but in this specific scenario, we are dealing with a rotational motion and the moment of inertia is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. This means that by decreasing the moment of inertia by 50%, the mass must also decrease by 50%. Therefore, in this equation, the mass and inertia can be used interchangeably. However, it is important to note that this is not always the case and should not be assumed in other situations.

Related to Solving for inertia and angular speed

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the property of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is often described as the tendency of an object to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is inertia related to angular speed?

Inertia is directly related to angular speed, as it determines how much force is needed to change the rotational motion of an object. The greater the inertia, the more force is required to change the angular speed.

3. How do you calculate inertia?

The formula for calculating inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

4. What factors affect inertia and angular speed?

The main factors that affect inertia and angular speed are the mass and distribution of mass of the object. Objects with a larger mass or with their mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a greater moment of inertia and thus a slower angular speed.

5. How can you use inertia and angular speed in real-life applications?

Inertia and angular speed are important concepts in everyday life, especially in the design of machines and vehicles. For example, understanding inertia and angular speed is essential in designing vehicles that can safely make turns without losing control. These concepts are also crucial in the development of tools and machines that require precise rotational movements, such as drills and turbines.