Solving for Kinetic Energy at Top of Loop-the-Loop

• Thread starter dkgojackets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bead Loop
In summary: Now you can use the conservation of energy equation to find the value of h in terms of K, m, and r.In summary, the problem involves a bead sliding without friction around a loop-the-loop, with the bead being released at a certain height y from the bottom of the loop. The goal is to find the instantaneous kinetic energy at the top of the loop so that the bead would press the track with an upward force of F=mg/2. The equation for kinetic energy and centripetal acceleration are used to solve for the velocity of the bead at the top of the loop, which can then be used to find the total kinetic energy using the conservation of energy equation. The final answer is found to be 3mgr/
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop. The bead is released at height y from the bottom of the loop, which has radius r. What is the instantaneous kinetic energy K at the top of the loop so that the bead would press the track with an upward force F=mg/2?

Express the height y in terms of K, m, and r.

Homework Equations

K=.5mv^2
cent acceleration=(v^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD with weight mg down and F mg/2 up. The sum was mg/2 down, which I set equal to m(v^2)/r. I arranged the equation to get v^2=gr/2, and plugged that into the kinetic energy equation, getting mgr/4 as the incorrect solution.

I was able to get the second part through energy conservation, setting mgy=2mgr + K and solving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I get mgr/4 = KE at the top as well. We must be missing something.

According to the problem, the bead is pressing up. In other words, the bead overcomes its weight to push up on the wire.

According to your analysis, the bead is pressing down. If the bead is pressing up, then the weight force must already be canceled out by some force, with a resulting net force of [itex]\frac{mg}{2}[/itex]. It just so happens, however, that your net force and the actual net force are equivalent. This is just a coincidence.

However, I do not understand why your answer is incorrect, because I am getting the same answer that you did, although with different reasoning. (EDIT: Never mind. See my later post for the error in my reasoning.)

Last edited:
So a total force of 3mg/2? That would make kinetic energy 3mgr/4, which seems right.

dkgojackets said:
So a total force of 3mg/2? That would make kinetic energy 3mgr/4, which seems right.
The total force is not that.

The problem is asking for the kinetic energy at the top of the loop.

[tex]
KE_i + PE_i = KE_f
[/tex]

Your analysis finds the instantaneous kinetic energy at the bottom of the loop. Now you need to solve for the kinetic energy at the top of the loop.

Here's the problem - when you found the net force of the bead, you had it going down. It should be going up. The problem tells you that the net force of the bead is upwards. Therefore, centripetal force is equal to mg/2. Your reasoning was slightly incorrect.

Saketh said:
The total force is not that.

The problem is asking for the kinetic energy at the top of the loop.

[tex]
KE_i + PE_i = KE_f
[/tex]

Your analysis finds the instantaneous kinetic energy at the bottom of the loop. Now you need to solve for the kinetic energy at the top of the loop.

Here's the problem - when you found the net force of the bead, you had it going down. It should be going up. The problem tells you that the net force of the bead is upwards. Therefore, centripetal force is equal to mg/2. Your reasoning was slightly incorrect.

Not so. The bead is pushing up on the track with a force of mg/2, so the track is pushing down on the bead with a force of mg/2 (Newton 3). This is added to the weight of the bead for a total downward force of 3mg/2, and that is the centripetal force at the top of the loop.

dkgojackets said:

That looks right to me.

Last edited:

Related to Solving for Kinetic Energy at Top of Loop-the-Loop

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

What is the importance of solving for kinetic energy at the top of a loop-the-loop?

Solving for kinetic energy at the top of a loop-the-loop is important in understanding the energy required for an object to complete the loop and the forces acting on the object at that point.

How does kinetic energy change at the top of a loop-the-loop?

At the top of a loop-the-loop, the kinetic energy of an object is at its minimum as the velocity is zero. This is because the object is changing direction and its velocity is constantly changing.

What factors affect kinetic energy at the top of a loop-the-loop?

The mass and velocity of the object are the main factors that affect kinetic energy at the top of a loop-the-loop. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the kinetic energy at the top of the loop will be.

Back