Solving for Mars Encounter Orbit w/Limited Info

• Thread starter skiboka33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Orbit
In summary, the space probe needs to be put into an orbit that will encounter Mars using the least amount of energy. The orbit has perihelion at Earth's orbit and apelion at Mars' orbit, but you don't need to worry about the eccentricity or the change in orbital velocity. You can solve for the energy of your probe in this new orbit, and solve for the total energy in the original orbit. From this you can solve for the energy difference between the orbits, which at perhelion will be due to kinetic energy alone.
skiboka33
Ok, say there is a space probe orbitting the sun at 1 AU and it needs to be put in an orbit that will encounter Mars using the least amount of energy. The orbit hsa perihelion at Earth's orbit and apelion at mar's orbit. In the problem we are asked to solve for stuff like the eccentricity of the orbit and change in orbital velocity to achieve the orbit. No need to do the question for me, but I'm just a little confused about what information we can get from the original question. Seems like it's not enough information to solve the problems. Any ideas on what I'm missing? thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, you know the aphelion and perhelion of the tranfer orbit, you can solve for the eccentricity with that information.

You can solve for the total energy of your probe in this new orbit, and you can solve for the total energy in the original orbit. From this you can solve for the energy difference between the orbits, which at perhelion will be due to kinetic energy alone. This will allow you to get the change in orbital velocity needed.

skiboka33 said:
Seems like it's not enough information to solve the problems.

In real life, you would need phase information -- that is, you'd need to know the positions of Mars and the satellite at a particular time. The fact that the orbit has aphelion at Mars' orbit doesn't mean you'll encounter it in any reasonable amount of time. In fact, if your satellite's orbit was resonant with that of Mars, you'd likely never encounter it at all!

You almost certainly don't need to worry about these things, however. The problem should be solvable using the information given, along with the procedure Janus described.

This was a question on my assignment due today. Odds are this guy is in my class (Uvic).

Last week of school, already started studying for finals, an astronomy assignment isn't exactly on my radar. Went to school this morning, oh **** I forgot to do this assignment. And this one was actually tough! Flipped it off in an hour and a half. 60% at most. Oh well. I pwn that class anyway.

Sorry this isn't a more helpful post, although the thing was due five hours ago so I guess help now wouldn't help you too much.

SpaceTiger said:
In real life, you would need phase information -- that is, you'd need to know the positions of Mars and the satellite at a particular time. The fact that the orbit has aphelion at Mars' orbit doesn't mean you'll encounter it in any reasonable amount of time. In fact, if your satellite's orbit was resonant with that of Mars, you'd likely never encounter it at all!

True, and in addition, in real life you would need to know at what position Mars will be in it's orbit in relation to its perhelion when intercept is met. Mars' orbit is eccentric enough that if you based your [itex]\Delta V[/itex] on its average distance from the Sun you could find yourself missing Mars by some 21 million km.

As a result, when you launch a probe from Earth, it takes the least [itex]\Delta V[/itex] to intercept Mars when you launch in the last half of February and the most if you launch in August. (this is just for intercept and doesn't take account the [itex]\Delta V[/itex] needed to match orbit with Mars once you get there.)

This leaves a few best launch "windows" where both the energy needed is the least and Mars and Earth are in the proper relative positons of their orbits for intercept.

But again, for this question, you are allowed to simplify and assume that Mars is in a circular orbit.

This is pretty straightforward, in the simplest case. Just calculate the parameters of an orbit with its perihelion at Earth's orbit, and aphelion where it intersects Mars' orbit. Take half the orbital time (say 190 days), and calculate how far Mars would move in that interval. Launch on the trajectory when Mars is the requisite number of degrees ahead of the rendevous point, and boom--simple Hohmann transfer. With the set of orbit equations in hand, you can calculate a trajectory to just about any object in the Solar System. Of course, in real-life it would be complicated by orbital inclination, but anyways...

FAQ: Solving for Mars Encounter Orbit w/Limited Info

1. What is "Solving for Mars Encounter Orbit w/Limited Info"?

"Solving for Mars Encounter Orbit w/Limited Info" is a scientific process that involves using limited information and data to calculate and plan the trajectory of a spacecraft or rover to reach Mars.

2. Why is solving for Mars encounter orbit with limited info important?

Solving for Mars encounter orbit with limited info is important because it allows scientists and engineers to plan and execute successful missions to Mars with minimal data. This can reduce costs and increase efficiency while still achieving scientific goals.

3. What type of information is needed to solve for Mars encounter orbit?

The most important information needed to solve for Mars encounter orbit includes the spacecraft's current position, velocity, and mass, as well as information about the current position and velocity of Mars. Additional data such as atmospheric conditions and potential hazards may also be considered.

4. How do scientists solve for Mars encounter orbit with limited info?

Scientists use mathematical equations and algorithms, such as the Lambert's problem, to calculate the most efficient trajectory for a spacecraft to reach Mars with the given limited information. They may also use computer simulations to test and refine their calculations.

5. What are some challenges of solving for Mars encounter orbit with limited info?

Some challenges of solving for Mars encounter orbit with limited info include the complexity of the calculations and the sensitivity of the trajectory to small changes in the data. Additionally, unforeseen factors, such as solar flares or unexpected atmospheric conditions, may also affect the accuracy of the calculations.