Solving for Motion Information on a elevator and some lights

In summary, a 2.0 kg light is suspended by a cable in an elevator, and a separate 0.80 kg light is suspended from the first light. The elevator is moving downward at 4.0 m/s when someone presses the emergency stop button, causing the upper cable to snap. The elevator engineer claims that the cable could withstand a force of 40 N without breaking. To solve for the values of t1, t2, r1, r2, v1, v2, and a12, equations for velocity, position, and force were used, and various attempts were made to find a solution. However, due to missing information and inconsistencies in the given values, a definitive solution could not be found
Dko

Homework Statement

A decorative light fixture in an elevator consists of a 2.0 kg light suspended by a cable from the ceiling of the elevator. From this light, a separate presses the emergency stop button. During the stop, the upper cable snaps. The elevator engineer says that the cable could withstand a force of 40 N without breaking.

Homework Equations

v2 = v1 + a12(t2-t1)
r2 = r1 + v1(t2-t1)+.5(a12)(t2-t1)^2
ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My biggest problem is getting a value for t2, r2 or a12. I can't seam to solve for any of them. If it had said that the force that did break the cable WAS 40 N I would be fine. But the wording makes it sound like the actual force could be any number higher then 40.

But here is what I have tried. I knew I was going to have problems)
First I tried solving for a12 using v2 = v1 + a12(t2-t1)
0 = 4 + a12(t2-0)
-4 = a12(t2)
a12 = -4/t2

Then went for r2 using r2 = r1 + v1(t2-t1) +.5(a12)(t2-t1)^2
r2 = 0+4(t2-0) + .5(-4/t2)(t2-0)^2
r2 = 4t2 - 2t2(t2^2)
r2 = 4t2 -2t2
r2 = 2t2

My next try was trying to see if pluging into ƩF = ma for both lights would help
The bottom one
-F B.Cable + F Gravity = ma12
-F B.Cable +(0.8)(9.8) = 0.8a12
-F B.Cable + 7.84 = 0.8a12
a12 = (7.84- F B.Cable)/0.8

The top one
-F T.Cable + F B.Cable + F Gravity = ma12
-F T.Cable + F B.Cable + 2(9.8) = 2 ((7.84 - F B.Cable)/0.8)
-F T.Cable + F B.Cable + 19.6 = 2.5(7.84 -F B.Cable)
-F T.Cable + F B.Cable + 19.6 = 19.6 - 2.5 F B.Cable
F T.Cable = 3.5 F B.Cable

So what else should I do? Should I assume that F T.Cable = 40 N and solve from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have left out a lot of information in the problem statement, including the question itself. Please re-post.

That is it. There is no real question given other then blanks for the values of t1, t2, r1, r2, v1, v2 and a12. I have given everything I was given to solve the problem

Looks like you assumed vi = 4, where did you get that number? Then you say m =2, but somewhere you used m = .8? then you say' top' and 'bottom'...2 lights? and what does
'From this light, a separate presses the emergency stop button' mean? You left out a lot of stuff...

Opps I did leave out a little. It was late when I wrote this. It should say "From this light, a separate cable suspends a second 0.80 kg light. The elevator is moving downward at 4.0 m/s (where I got v1) when someone presses the emergency stop button."

Oh Ok, it looks like as you say the wording makes it sound like the actual acceleration could be any number higher than due to the 40 N limiting force in the upper cable. But it should be asking what was the minimum acceleration during the stop (that is, assume the tension in the upper rope is 40 N and calculate the acceleration accordingly, along with the other values). Your approach is correct.

Related to Solving for Motion Information on a elevator and some lights

1. What is the purpose of solving for motion information on an elevator and some lights?

The purpose of solving for motion information on an elevator and some lights is to understand the movement of these objects in relation to their surroundings. This information can be used to improve the efficiency, safety, and functionality of elevators and lighting systems.

2. How is motion information gathered on an elevator and some lights?

Motion information on elevators and lights is gathered through various sensors and instruments such as accelerometers, speedometers, and light sensors. These devices measure the movement and changes in motion of the objects and provide data for analysis.

3. What factors affect the motion of an elevator and the behavior of lights?

The motion of an elevator and the behavior of lights can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the elevator, the speed at which it is moving, the condition of the elevator's mechanical components, and the surrounding environment. For lights, factors such as the type of light bulb, the voltage, and the presence of other light sources can also impact their motion and behavior.

4. How is motion information used to improve elevator and lighting systems?

By analyzing the gathered motion information, scientists and engineers can identify patterns and trends in the movement of elevators and the behavior of lights. This information can then be used to make adjustments and improvements to the systems, such as optimizing elevator speed and reducing energy consumption in lighting systems.

5. What are some potential applications of solving for motion information on an elevator and some lights?

The applications of solving for motion information on elevators and lights are vast. It can be used in the design and development of more efficient and advanced elevator and lighting systems, as well as in the maintenance and troubleshooting of existing systems. Additionally, motion information can also be used in research studies to better understand the behaviors and movements of these objects.