Solving for Net Force of Charge Q on Two Charges q1 & q2

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the position at which a charge Q can be placed along a horizontal axis of length L so that its net force is zero. The equation F = kq1Q / r + kq2Q / r is used, with x representing the distance from the point to L. The conversation also touches on the values of q1 and q2, as well as clarifying the signs in the equations. The final conclusion is that the original equation L^2 + 2xL - 3x^2 is correct and can be solved for x in terms of L.
kashmirekat
Hello all,

I have two charges, q1 & q2, along a horizontal axis of length L. I supposed to determine the length at which another charge, Q, can be placed so that its net force is zero, other than infinitely away.

I'm using the equation:
F = kq1Q / r + kq2Q / r
-- > kq1Q / (L+x)^2 = -( kq2Q / x^2 ) where x is the distance the point is away from L.

I substitute my #s and I get the equation:
(8 / (l^2 + 2xL + x^2)) = -(2/x^2)
and then I get:
8x^2 = -2(L^2 + 2xL + x^2)
-4x^2 = L^2 + 2xL + x^2
0 = L^2 + 2xL + 5x^2
Is this right? I cannot seem to solve for x.

I thought I initially had it, but reworked through my math and realized I forgot to have 2q negative. What I initally got was:
L^2 + 2xL - 3x^2
I can solve that by 'unfoiling' easily, but, as I previously mentioned, the math isn't correct to get that equation.

Thank you for your help and have a wonderful day.

Physics news on Phys.org
What values are you using for q1 and q2?

I'm using 8 for q1 and -2 for q2.

Originally posted by kashmirekat

I thought I initially had it, but reworked through my math and realized I forgot to have 2q negative. What I initally got was:
L^2 + 2xL - 3x^2
I can solve that by 'unfoiling' easily, but, as I previously mentioned, the math isn't correct to get that equation.
What makes you think the math isn't correct? Looks right to me.

I start with this equation:
(8 / (L^2 + 2xL + x^2)) = -(-2/x^2), cross multiply
8x^2 = -2(L^2 + 2xL + x^2), divide by -2
-4x^2 = L^2 + 2xL + x^2, add -4x^2
0 = L^2 + 2xL + 5x^2, not L^2 + 2xL - 3x^2 as I had originally hoped for.
So, how do you solve for x (in terms of L) for this equation:
0 = L^2 + 2xL + 5x^2

Originally posted by kashmirekat
I start with this equation:
(8 / (L^2 + 2xL + x^2)) = -(-2/x^2), cross multiply
8x^2 = -2(L^2 + 2xL + x^2), divide by -2
-4x^2 = L^2 + 2xL + x^2, add -4x^2
0 = L^2 + 2xL + 5x^2, not L^2 + 2xL - 3x^2 as I had originally hoped for.
You are messing up with signs. In your first equation, the minus signs cancel. Your original hope was correct. :smile:

I was in the middle of asking a question about the signs and your response answered it perfectly.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FAQ: Solving for Net Force of Charge Q on Two Charges q1 & q2

1. What is the equation for solving for the net force of charge Q on two charges q1 and q2?

The equation for solving for the net force of charge Q on two charges q1 and q2 is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the net force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How do I determine the direction of the net force of charge Q?

The direction of the net force of charge Q can be determined by using the principle of superposition. This means that the net force is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on charge Q due to q1 and q2. The direction of the net force will be in the direction of the resultant force vector.

3. What units should be used for the charges and distance in the equation?

The charges should be measured in Coulombs (C) and the distance should be measured in meters (m) in the equation for solving for the net force of charge Q on two charges q1 and q2.

4. Can I use this equation to solve for the net force on more than two charges?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve for the net force on more than two charges. You will just need to add up the individual forces from each charge using the principle of superposition to find the net force on the desired charge.

5. How does the distance between the charges affect the net force of charge Q?

The distance between the charges has a direct impact on the net force of charge Q. As the distance increases, the net force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the net force increases. This is because the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, as shown in the equation F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2.