Solving for Real Numbers $a$ and $b$ in $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{ax+b}$

In summary, the problem asks for values of $a$ and $b$ such that there are three distinct real numbers $x,\ y,\ z$ satisfying $f(x)=y$, $f(y)=z$, and $f(z)=x$, where $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{ax+b}$. After some substitutions and algebraic manipulations, it is found that $a+b^2=0$ is a necessary condition for this problem to have a solution.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

This problem has given me a very hard time because I have exhausted all the methods that I know to figure out a way to find for the values for both a and b but no, there must be a trick to this problem and I admit that it is a question that is out of my reach...

Could you show me how to attack this problem, please?

Thanks in advance.:)

Problem:

For real numbers $a$ and $b$ define $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{ax+b}$. For which $a$ and $b$ are there three distinct real numbers $x_1, x_2, x_3$ such that $f(x_1)=x_2$, $f(x_2)=x_3$ and $f(x_3)=x_1$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hi MHB,

This problem has given me a very hard time because I have exhausted all the methods that I know to figure out a way to find for the values for both a and b but no, there must be a trick to this problem and I admit that it is a question that is out of my reach...

Problem:

For real numbers $a$ and $b$ define $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{ax+b}$. For which $a$ and $b$ are there three distinct real numbers $x_1, x_2, x_3$ such that $f(x_1)=x_2$, $f(x_2)=x_3$ and $f(x_3)=x_1$?

some one may come with a neat method but one solution I suggest is

f(f(f(x) = x

now f(f(1/(ax+b)) = x

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

Problem:

With trivial substitions You should arrive to the second order equation...

$\displaystyle a\ (a+b)\ x_{1}^{2} + (a + 2\ b - a\ b)\ x_{1} + b - 1 =0\ (1)$

... and the condition for real solution of Your system is to be $\ge 0$ the discriminant of (1)... if the solutions are also 'distinct' is of course a different problem...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

anemone said:
I prefer to call the numbers $x,\ y,\ z$, so that $f(x)=y$, $f(y) = z$ and $f(z)= x$. Then $y = \dfrac1{ax+b}$, $$z = \frac1{\frac a{ax+b} + b} = \frac{ax+b}{abx+b+b^2},$$ $$ x = \frac1{\frac{a^2x+ab}{abx+b+b^2} + b} = \frac{abx+b+b^2}{(a^2+ab^2)x + 2ab + b^2}.$$ Therefore \(\displaystyle (a^2+ab^2)x^2 + (2ab + b^2)x = abx+b+b^2\), which simplifies to $a(a+b^2)x^2 + b(a+b^2)x - (a+b^2) = 0.$ Divide through by $a+b^2$ to get $ax^2+bx-1 = 0.$ But now we are in trouble, because if $ax^2+bx-1 = 0$ then (dividing through by $x$) $\frac1x = ax+b$, which means that $x = \frac1{ax+b} = y$, contradicting the requirement that $x$ and $y$ should be distinct.

Looking back to see what went wrong, you notice (if you did not do so at the time) that we divided that quadratic equation by the constant $a+b^2$ without considering the possibility that $a+b^2=0$. That is the only thing that can rescue the problem from having no solution, so it looks as though the answer to the question is that $a$ and $b$ must satisfy the condition $a+b^2=0$. That is certainly a necessary condition, and I leave it to you to check that it is also sufficient for the problem to have a solution.

chisigma said:
With trivial substitions You should arrive to the second order equation...

$\displaystyle a\ (a+b)\ x_{1}^{2} + (a + 2\ b - a\ b)\ x_{1} + b - 1 =0\ (1)$

... and the condition for real solution of Your system is to be $\ge 0$ the discriminant of (1)... if the solutions are also 'distinct' is of course a different problem...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

kaliprasad said:
some one may come with a neat method but one solution I suggest is

f(f(f(x) = x

now f(f(1/(ax+b)) = x

Thank you to both of you, kaliprasad and chisigma for the help!

Opalg said:
I prefer to call the numbers $x,\ y,\ z$, so that $f(x)=y$, $f(y) = z$ and $f(z)= x$. Then $y = \dfrac1{ax+b}$, $$z = \frac1{\frac a{ax+b} + b} = \frac{ax+b}{abx+b+b^2},$$ $$ x = \frac1{\frac{a^2x+ab}{abx+b+b^2} + b} = \frac{abx+b+b^2}{(a^2+ab^2)x + 2ab + b^2}.$$ Therefore \(\displaystyle (a^2+ab^2)x^2 + (2ab + b^2)x = abx+b+b^2\), which simplifies to $a(a+b^2)x^2 + b(a+b^2)x - (a+b^2) = 0.$ Divide through by $a+b^2$ to get $ax^2+bx-1 = 0.$ But now we are in trouble, because if $ax^2+bx-1 = 0$ then (dividing through by $x$) $\frac1x = ax+b$, which means that $x = \frac1{ax+b} = y$, contradicting the requirement that $x$ and $y$ should be distinct.

Looking back to see what went wrong, you notice (if you did not do so at the time) that we divided that quadratic equation by the constant $a+b^2$ without considering the possibility that $a+b^2=0$. That is the only thing that can rescue the problem from having no solution, so it looks as though the answer to the question is that $a$ and $b$ must satisfy the condition $a+b^2=0$. That is certainly a necessary condition, and I leave it to you to check that it is also sufficient for the problem to have a solution.

Good answer, with an excellent explanation! Mr. Opalg, I can't tell you how thankful that I am for all your help!

I realized now that for any given equation, in order to keep it balance, not only we can add/subtract the same quantity from both sides of the equation, we can also take square root to it, square it, divide the whole equation by some quantity which isn't zero (such as the situation in this instance), I am so happy that I learned something so valuable today! Thank you so so much, Opalg!

Opalg said:
That is the only thing that can rescue the problem from having no solution, so it looks as though the answer to the question is that $a$ and $b$ must satisfy the condition $a+b^2=0$. That is certainly a necessary condition, and I leave it to you to check that it is also sufficient for the problem to have a solution.

Btw,:) I used the graph of the function $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{ax+b}=\dfrac{1}{-b^2x+b}$ below to check that the condition $a+b^2=0$ suggests that there are three distinct real numbers $x_1, x_2, x_3$ such that $f(x_1)=x_2$, $f(x_2)=x_3$ and $f(x_3)=x_1$:

View attachment 1467

Attachments

• Verification.JPG
    Verification.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

FAQ: Solving for Real Numbers $a$ and $b$ in $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{ax+b}$

What are real numbers a and b?

Real numbers a and b are numbers that can be expressed on a number line and include both positive and negative numbers, as well as fractions and decimals. They are not imaginary numbers or complex numbers.

How do you find real numbers a and b?

To find real numbers a and b, you can use algebraic equations or inequalities. These can involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. You can also use graphs to visualize and solve for real numbers a and b.

What is the difference between real numbers a and b?

The difference between real numbers a and b is that they are two distinct numbers. They may have different values or be used for different purposes in a mathematical equation. However, they are both real numbers and can be found on the number line.

Why is it important to find real numbers a and b?

Finding real numbers a and b is important because they are used in many real-life applications and can help solve problems in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics. They also allow for precise and accurate calculations and measurements.

Can real numbers a and b be irrational?

Yes, real numbers a and b can be irrational. An irrational number is a number that cannot be written as a fraction and has an infinite number of decimal places. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2. These numbers are still considered real numbers because they can be found on the number line.