Solving for Spherical Coordinates: Derivatives and Equations Explained

In summary, this document goes over how to find the coordinates of a point in space using spherical coordinates. The first six equations are needed, and the seventh equation can be found by taking the derivative of the first six equations. However, the eighth and ninth equations are not found this way. They are found by solving equations 4 to 6 as linear equations.
Oddbio
Gold Member
Here is a small screenshot of something I'm reading:
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3585/sphericalcoords.png

The first six equations are ok. (I don't think anyone actually needs the figure right? It's just general spherical coordinates). φ is the angle in the x-y plane.

I get how the seventh equation is found, because:
[tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex]
so they simply take the derivative of that and then they have the derivative in terms of x y and z and then they simply change it to spherical coordinates using one of the first three equations in the image.

But I cannot figure out how they get the eighth and ninth equations. (last 2).
Because:
[tex]\theta=cos^{-1}\left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}}\right)[/tex]

and the derivative of that with respect to x (partial derivative) is:
[tex]\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}=\left(\frac{xz}{\left(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{3/2}\sqrt{1-\frac{z^{2}}{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}}}\right)[/tex]
and similarly for y and z.
OR:
[tex]\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}=\left(\frac{xz}{\sqrt{\left(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{3}-z^{2}\left(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{2}}}\right)[/tex]

I don't think I'm doing this right, then I'd still have to solve for [itex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}[/itex] and with y and z too.

The manner in which that document I'm reading goes over this topic leads me to believe that the method of doing this should be much simpler.
Can anyone offer some advice please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Oddbio! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Oddbio said:
I get how the seventh equation is found, because:
[tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex]
so they simply take the derivative of that and then they have the derivative in terms of x y and z and then they simply change it to spherical coordinates using one of the first three equations in the image.

But I cannot figure out how they get the eighth and ninth equations. (last 2) …

No, they don't get equation 7 from a derivative,

they get it simply by solving equations 4 to 6 as ordinary linear equations

(which you can verify by substituting equations 4 to 6 into the RHS of equation 7).

Same for 8 and 9. :wink:

(and in the √ in your denominator, you seem to have missed that it's √(x2 + y2)/r)

Oh I don't know why I didn't follow my first instinct.

Thank you, and thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

Related to Solving for Spherical Coordinates: Derivatives and Equations Explained

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system used to locate points in a three-dimensional space. It uses two angles, θ (theta) and φ (phi), and a distance, ρ (rho), to specify the position of a point relative to a fixed origin.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, a point is located using three values: x, y, and z. In spherical coordinates, a point is located using two angles and a distance. This makes spherical coordinates more useful for describing points on a sphere or in three-dimensional space.

3. How do I convert spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following formulas:
x = ρ * sin(φ) * cos(θ)
y = ρ * sin(φ) * sin(θ)
z = ρ * cos(φ)
where θ is the angle in the xy-plane and φ is the angle from the positive z-axis.

4. What is the range of values for spherical coordinates?

The range of values for spherical coordinates depends on the convention used. In the standard convention, ρ is usually greater than or equal to 0, θ ranges from 0 to 2π, and φ ranges from 0 to π. In physics convention, θ ranges from 0 to π and φ ranges from 0 to 2π.

5. How are spherical coordinates used in real life?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering to describe the position of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and 3D modeling.