Solving for the components of a force at a given angle on a plane.

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Sum
In summary: Any vector can be written as the sum of 2 vectors.In this case we want to write a vertical vector $\overrightarrow{F} = F \mathbf{\hat k}$ as the sum of a vector that is parallel to the surface ($F_\parallel$) and a vector that is perpendicular to the surface ($F_\perp$). In particular, they are perpendicular with respect to each other.Since the surface is at a 45 degree angle, due to symmetry, those two vectors will have the same length.So $F_\parallel = F_\perp$ and using Pythagoras: $F_\parallel^2 + F_\perp^
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We suppose that a force $\overrightarrow{F}$ (for example, the gravity) is applied vertically downwards to an object that is placed at a plane which has an angle of $45^{\circ}$ with the horizantal direction.
Express this force as a sum of a force that acts parallel to the plan and of a force that acts perpendicular to that.

Do we have the following??

View attachment 4035

To write the force as the sum of a force that acts parallel to the plan and of a force that acts perpendicular to that, do we have to write the components of the force at the $x-$axis and at the $y-$axis?? (Wondering)

Attachments

• force.png
    force.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
To write the force as a sum of its component, we have the following:

$$F_x=F \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \\ F_y=F \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$$

The result should be $$\overrightarrow{F}_x=\frac{F}{2}(-\overrightarrow{i}-\overrightarrow{j}) \\ \overrightarrow{F}_y=\frac{F}{2}(\overrightarrow{i}-\overrightarrow{j})$$

How do we get it?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
To write the force as a sum of its component, we have the following:

$$F_x=F \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \\ F_y=F \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$$

Do we maybe have to do the following?? (Wondering)

$$\overrightarrow{F}_x=A\overrightarrow{i}+B\overrightarrow{j} \Rightarrow F_x=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\\ \overrightarrow{F}_y=C\overrightarrow{i}+D\overrightarrow{j} \Rightarrow F_y=\sqrt{C^2+D^2}$$

$$\sqrt{A^2+B^2}=F\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \\ \sqrt{C^2+D^2}=F\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$$

But we have only $2$ equations and $4$ unkown variables...

Is this correct so far?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
To write the force as the sum of a force that acts parallel to the plan and of a force that acts perpendicular to that, do we have to write the components of the force at the $x-$axis and at the $y-$axis?? (Wondering)

That depends on how you pick your $x-$axis and $y-$axis.
Usually those are horizontal respectively vertical.
I'd say you need the components $F_\parallel$ and $F_\perp$ to avoid ambiguity. (Mmm)
mathmari said:
Do we maybe have to do the following?? (Wondering)

$$\overrightarrow{F}_x=A\overrightarrow{i}+B\overrightarrow{j} \Rightarrow F_x=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\\ \overrightarrow{F}_y=C\overrightarrow{i}+D\overrightarrow{j} \Rightarrow F_y=\sqrt{C^2+D^2}$$

$$\sqrt{A^2+B^2}=F\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \\ \sqrt{C^2+D^2}=F\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}$$

But we have only $2$ equations and $4$ unkown variables...

Is this correct so far?? (Wondering)

It's correct, but you didn't use the angle of 45 degrees yet... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
It's correct, but you didn't use the angle of 45 degrees yet... (Thinking)
What do you mean?? (Wondering) I got stuck right now...

mathmari said:
What do you mean?? (Wondering) I got stuck right now...

Any vector can be written as the sum of 2 vectors.
In this case we want to write a vertical vector $\overrightarrow F = F \mathbf{\hat k}$ as the sum of a vector that is parallel to the surface ($F_\parallel$) and a vector that is perpendicular to the surface ($F_\perp$). In particular, they are perpendicular with respect to each other.
Since the surface is at a 45 degree angle, due to symmetry, those two vectors will have the same length.
So $F_\parallel = F_\perp$ and using Pythagoras: $F_\parallel^2 + F_\perp^2 = F^2$.

Care to solve that? (Wondering)

FAQ: Solving for the components of a force at a given angle on a plane.

1. What is meant by "writing the force as a sum"?

"Writing the force as a sum" means breaking down a force vector into its horizontal and vertical components. This involves using mathematical equations and trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of each component.

2. Why is it important to write the force as a sum?

Writing the force as a sum allows for easier calculations and analysis of the individual components of a force. It also helps in understanding the overall effect of the force on an object.

3. How do you write a force as a sum?

To write a force as a sum, you need to first determine the angle and magnitude of the force vector. Then, use trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine) to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the force.

4. Can you give an example of writing a force as a sum?

Sure! Let's say we have a force of 10 N acting at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal. To write this force as a sum, we would use the equation Fx = F cos(theta) and Fy = F sin(theta), where Fx is the horizontal component and Fy is the vertical component. Plugging in the values, we get Fx = 10 N * cos(30) = 8.66 N and Fy = 10 N * sin(30) = 5 N. Therefore, the force can be written as a sum of 8.66 N in the horizontal direction and 5 N in the vertical direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of writing the force as a sum?

Writing the force as a sum is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in the analysis of structures and forces acting on them. It is also important in fields such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace engineering.

Back