Solving for Time: Dropping Package from Helicopter

In summary, the problem involves a helicopter ascending vertically with a speed of 5.83 m/s and a package being dropped from a height of 121 m. The task is to find the time it takes for the package to reach the ground. Using the equation d = vi + 0.5at^2, the time is calculated to be 4.8481 seconds. However, another method may also be used by first finding the velocity at the time of collision using v^2 = vi^2 + 2a(x-xi), and then using the initial equation to find the time, which gives a slightly different answer of 5.6 or 5
atbruick

Homework Statement

A helicopter is ascending vertically with a speed of 5.83 m/s. At a height of 121 m above the Earth, a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground?

Homework Equations

Vfinal=Vinitial + at
or
Xfinal=Xinitial + Vinitial(t) + (1/2at)squared

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting in my answer from the first equation but it was wrong, and every time I try the second equation I get a negative answer which doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
negative time in physics doesn't really mean anything. all the negative means is that you put a negative -9.8 acceleration for gravity

the problem gives you this data:

d = 121m
vi = 5.83 m/s (initial velocity is 5.83 meters per second. yes it is negative since it's going down but we aren't going to worry about it)
a = 9.8m/s^2
t = ?

so you use this equation:
d= vi + 0.5at^2
121 = 5.83+.5*9.8*t^2
t = 4.8481 seconds

My online homework say's that's not correct. I'm also confused on how you derived your equation?

well i found out the velocity at the time of collision 1st with v^2 =vi^2 +2a(x-xi) to be 49.05 and then using the 1st equation i got the time to be 5.6 or 5.599

edit: if your homework was anything like mine then it was probably asking for that too and i found it easier to get that answer 1st

I would like to point out that the equations you have attempted to use are for motion with constant acceleration, such as free fall. However, in this scenario, the helicopter is ascending vertically with a constant velocity, meaning there is no acceleration involved. Therefore, we cannot use these equations to solve for the time it takes for the package to reach the ground.

To solve this problem, we need to use the equation for displacement, which is given by:

X = X(initial) + V(t)

Where X(initial) is the initial height of the package (121 m), V is the velocity of the helicopter (5.83 m/s), and t is the time it takes for the package to reach the ground.

We can rearrange this equation to solve for t:

t = (X - X(initial)) / V

Substituting the given values, we get:

t = (0 - 121) / 5.83

t = -20.75 seconds

However, as time cannot be negative, we can conclude that the package will not reach the ground in this scenario. It will continue to ascend with the helicopter until it is released or until the helicopter changes its velocity.

FAQ: Solving for Time: Dropping Package from Helicopter

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a package to drop from a helicopter?

To calculate the time it takes for a package to drop from a helicopter, we use the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the initial height of the helicopter, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a package to drop from a helicopter?

The time it takes for a package to drop from a helicopter is affected by the initial height of the helicopter, the weight and size of the package, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can you use this equation to calculate the time for any object dropped from a height?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the time for any object dropped from a height, as long as the object is not affected by external forces such as wind or air resistance.

4. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s², which represents the rate at which objects fall towards the Earth due to the force of gravity.

5. How accurate is this equation for calculating the time of a package dropped from a helicopter?

This equation provides a fairly accurate estimate of the time it takes for a package to drop from a helicopter, but it may not account for external factors such as air resistance or wind. It is best used for simple calculations and may require adjustments for more precise results.

Back