Solving for Unknown Currents in a Circuit: KCL and Homework Statement

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kcl
In summary, the circuit is analyzed using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at different nodes. The equations are set up and solved to find the values of Ix and I1. The bottom line of the circuit is considered as the ground and used as a reference in the analysis. This approach yields the same answer as using the top right node as the second KCL equation.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find ##I_x## and ##I_1## in the following circuit:

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 11.24.24 AM.png

Homework Equations

##\sum I = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if I'm actually envisioning these currents correctly.

Applying KCL to the upper left node:

##(1) \quad 6 mA - I_1 - I_x = 0##

Applying KCL to the bottom left node:

##(2) \quad I_x + 1 mA + 1.5 I_x - 6 mA = 0##

Right away now I see that ##(2) \Rightarrow 2.5 I_x - 5 mA = 0 \Rightarrow I_x = 2 mA##.

Subbing into ##(1)## I see that ##I_1 = 4 mA##.

Am I applying those properly ^? Why did I not need the other nodes at all? Is this because there are four equations and only two unknowns?

Would these be the correct equations for the upper right node and bottom right node respectively?

##(3) \quad I_1 - 1 mA - 1.5I_x = 0## <- Using this with ##(2)## gives the same answer.

##(4) \quad 1 mA + 1.5I_x = 0## <- This does not make any sense and I'm not quite sure why. Is there current flowing out of this node?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation is fine, and the rest may be fine too, but I got vertigo when you chose the bottom right node for your second equation. A more typical approach would be to call the bottom node ground, and write your second KCL equation for the top right node. Do you get the same answer doing it that way?

berkeman said:
Your first equation is fine, and the rest may be fine too, but I got vertigo when you chose the bottom right node for your second equation. A more typical approach would be to call the bottom node ground, and write your second KCL equation for the top right node. Do you get the same answer doing it that way?

Indeed ##(3)## and ##(2)## in combination give the same answer as ##(1)## and ##(2)##.

So the bottom right node would be a reference to ground?

Zondrina said:
Indeed ##(3)## and ##(2)## in combination give the same answer as ##(1)## and ##(2)##.

So the bottom right node would be a reference to ground?

The whole bottom line is one node, and yes, normally I would label it as ground.

Likes 1 person

I can confirm that you are applying KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) correctly in this problem. KCL states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero. In this case, you correctly identified the two nodes where KCL can be applied (upper left and bottom left). Since there are only two unknown currents (##I_x## and ##I_1##), you only need two equations to solve for them. This is because the other two nodes (upper right and bottom right) are already connected to the nodes where you applied KCL, so the currents entering and leaving those nodes are already accounted for in your equations.

Your equations for the upper right and bottom right nodes are correct. For the upper right node, you correctly identified that the current leaving the node is equal to the current entering the node (##I_1##). For the bottom right node, you correctly identified that the current leaving the node is equal to the current entering the node (##I_x##).

As for your question about the fourth equation, you are correct that it does not make sense. This is because the bottom right node is not a separate node from the bottom left node. They are connected by a wire, so they are essentially the same node. Therefore, you do not need to apply KCL to the bottom right node separately.

Overall, you have correctly applied KCL to solve for the unknown currents in this circuit. Keep in mind that KCL can only be applied to nodes in a circuit, and not to individual components. Also, you may not always need to use all of the nodes in a circuit to solve for unknown currents. It depends on the specific circuit and the number of unknowns.

Related to Solving for Unknown Currents in a Circuit: KCL and Homework Statement

1. What is KCL in electricity and electronics?

KCL stands for Kirchhoff's Current Law, which is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the current flowing into a node (or junction) is equal to the current flowing out of that node. In other words, the total current entering a node must equal the total current leaving that node.

2. How do you apply KCL in circuit analysis?

To apply KCL, you first identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, at each node, you write an equation stating that the sum of all currents entering the node is equal to the sum of all currents leaving the node. This equation can then be used to solve for unknown currents in the circuit.

3. Can KCL be violated in a circuit?

No, KCL is a fundamental law in circuit analysis and cannot be violated. If the sum of currents entering a node does not equal the sum of currents leaving that node, then an error has been made in the circuit analysis.

4. Is KCL only applicable to DC circuits?

No, KCL is applicable to both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the currents entering and leaving a node may be represented using phasors instead of just numerical values.

5. What is the difference between KCL and KVL?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) is another fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. KVL is used to analyze voltage drops and sources in a circuit, while KCL is used to analyze currents at nodes in a circuit.