Solving for X using Logarithms in Calculus: 2^(2x)-2^(x)-6=0 Explained

In summary, logarithms are mathematical functions used in calculus to simplify equations and calculations. To solve logarithmic equations, you can use properties of logarithms and the inverse property to rewrite the equation. Natural logarithms use the base e, while common logarithms use the base 10. Logarithmic functions are used in various calculus applications, but common mistakes to watch out for include not applying properties correctly and confusing natural and common logarithms.
2^(2x)-2^(x)-6=0
solve for X..

im really lost in this class i just came for one day and the teacher said just try the question using logarithms :S and i don't wahts going on...

this is what i did

4x-2x-6=0
2x-6=0
x=3...

but the answer is log2(3)

Physics news on Phys.org
quadratic equation and logarithms:
Let 2^x = y.
Form a quadratic equation.
Solve the equation.
Substitute your answer back into 2^x = y.
Use logarithms to solve for x.

Karma said:
2^(2x)-2^(x)-6=0
solve for X..

im really lost in this class i just came for one day and the teacher said just try the question using logarithms :S and i don't wahts going on...

this is what i did

4x-2x-6=0
2x-6=0
x=3...

but the answer is log2(3)

You "lost" the exponentials! 22x is equal to 4x but 4x is not 4x and 2x is not 2x!

As Leong suggested, since 22x is also (2x)2, let y= 2x so that your equation becomes the quadratic equation y2-y- 6= (y-3)(y+2)= 0 which has solutions y= 3, y= -2.
Now you know that y= 2x= 3 and can solve for x using logarithms.
Of course 2x= -2 is impossible- a positive number to any power is never negative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving for X using Logarithms in Calculus: 2^(2x)-2^(x)-6=0 Explained

1. What are logarithms and why are they used in calculus?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to solve exponential equations. In calculus, logarithms are used to simplify complex calculations and to transform equations into a more manageable form.

2. How do I solve logarithmic equations in calculus?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the inverse property of logarithms to rewrite the equation in exponential form and solve for the variable.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms, denoted by "ln", use the base e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.718. Common logarithms, denoted by "log", use the base 10. In calculus, natural logarithms are often used because they have useful properties for solving equations and differentiating functions.

4. How are logarithmic functions used in calculus applications?

Logarithmic functions are used in various applications in calculus, such as modeling population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. They are also used to solve optimization problems and to find the rate of change in exponential functions.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with logarithms in calculus?

Common mistakes when working with logarithms in calculus include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms correctly, using the wrong base, and confusing the natural logarithm with the common logarithm. It is important to carefully review and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.