Solving Forces on Ladder: Wall & Floor

In summary, a uniform ladder of mass 30.0 kg and length 2.50 m is leaning against a frictionless vertical wall at an angle of 75.0 degrees with the rough floor. Using equilibrium equations, the force Fw exerted by the wall and the frictional force f exerted by the floor were calculated to be 39.4 N. However, it was later discovered that the ladder may have been moving and slipping at this angle, making the equilibrium impossible. The maximum angle for which equilibrium is possible was found to be 60.1 degrees.
eurekameh
A uniform ladder of mass m = 30.0 kg and length l = 2.50 m leans against a frictionless vertical wall. The ladder forms an angle theta = 75.0 degrees with the rough floor. The coefficient of static friction μ between the floor and the ladder is equal to 0.288. Determine the force Fw exerted on the ladder by the wall, and the frictional force f that the floor exerts on the ladder.

So here's my force diagram: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/90/gha.png/

Here are my equilibrium equations:
Fnet,x = Fw - f = 0
Fnet,y = Fv - mg = 0
Tnet,z = -(Fw)(2.4148) + (mg)(0.3235238) = 0

From the sum of the torques, I found Fw:
Fw = [(mg)(0.3235236)] / (2.4148) = 39.4 N.
Fw = f = 39.4 N.
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks fine to me. Why do you think it's wrong?

I went through your solution casually, but isn't it that you have forgot to take the torque contribution due to the normal reaction of the floor,that you have labelled as Fv in the diagram?

I took torque around the axis concurrent through both the normal reaction and the friction acting from the floor, so the torque from both the normal and the friction is zero. I think it's wrong because this was on a test and I got no points for it.

You did calculate the torque correctly, I checked myself. (Its the torque around an axis going through the base of the ladder, right?).

If the ladder was stationary (i.e. in equilibrium), then you are right that Fw=f, and you do have the right answer for the frictional force.

So I think you should have gotten full marks for the problem.

But if the ladder was not stationary, ie moving, then the answer might be different. Are you sure this problem is meant to be a statics problem? (I'm just trying to figure out why you didn't get full marks)...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ladder's not moving.
Here's the entire question:
A uniform ladder of mass m = 30.0 kg and length l = 2.50 m leans against a frictionless vertical wall. The ladder forms an angle theta = 75.0 degrees with the rough floor. The coefficient of static friction μ between the floor and the ladder is equal to 0.288. Determine the force Fw exerted on the ladder by the wall, and the frictional force f that the floor exerts on the ladder.
a. Draw the force diagram for the ladder.
b. Write the equilibrium conditions for the ladder.
c. Determine the force Fw exerted on the ladder by the wall.
d. Calculate the frictional force f that the floor exerts on the ladder.
e. Determine the minimum angle theta between the ladder and the floor for which the ladder will not slip.

Now that I think of it, and considering (e), the ladder might have been moving and "slipping" at the angle of 75 degrees. Hmm...
The wording is weird and makes me assume at first that the ladder is not moving.
What do you guys think? Is it moving or not?

[strike]Yes, that was the problem. I tried checking that last night, but apparently I made a mistake when I did so.[/strike]

What's the maximum force of friction the floor can exert on the ladder?

EDIT: Apparently, I did check it correctly last night. I messed up this morning!

Last edited:
vela said:
Yes, that was the problem. I tried checking that last night, but apparently I made a mistake when I did so.

What's the maximum force of friction the floor can exert on the ladder?

Isn't that just f,max = 0.288Fv?

I think vela is suggesting you work out the problem under the assumption that the ladder isn't necessarily stationary. Is that right?

BruceW said:
I think vela is suggesting you work out the problem under the assumption that the ladder isn't necessarily stationary. Is that right?

Hmm... How do I go about doing that? In a statics problem, a = 0. I'm not given any accelerations or velocities.

You can assume it's stationary and work out what the forces have to be, which you've done, but then you need to go back and check if that's physically possible, which is what you need to do now. If it's not, that tells you your assumption was wrong and that the ladder will slide.

eurekameh said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ladder's not moving.

Now that I think of it, and considering (e), the ladder might have been moving and "slipping" at the angle of 75 degrees. Hmm...
The wording is weird and makes me assume at first that the ladder is not moving.

Of course its static,and you seem to have done it correctly except for the (e) part.Its static for an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex]=75 degrees,since the the frictional force required is less than the maximum permissible frictional force,which makes equilibrium possible.Note that the maxumum possible frictional force is constant(=[itex]\mu[/itex]Fv=[itex]\mu[/itex]mg,since Fv=mg,as you have calculated for equilibrium)
Now,for some values of [itex]\theta[/itex],the frictional force calculated for equilibrium will be more than the maximum permissible value,making the equilibrium physically impossible.You have to find that value of [itex]\theta[/itex],lesser than which equilibrium is not possible

Here's my answer to (e):
Tnet,z = -(Fw)(2.5sintheta) + (mg)(1.25costheta) = 0
Fw = [(mg)(1.25costheta)] / (2.5sintheta)
Fw - f = 0
[(mg)(1.25costheta)] / (2.5sintheta) = μsFv = μs(mg)
μs = 1.25costheta / 2.5sintheta = 0.288
theta = 60.1 degrees
Is this right?
Because if so, then this whole problem I did correctly, but got no points for.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Yep, I got the same. Nice work. It is weird that you got no points for this question...

Related to Solving Forces on Ladder: Wall & Floor

1. What are the main forces acting on a ladder against a wall and on the floor?

The main forces acting on a ladder against a wall and on the floor are the weight of the ladder, the weight of the person on the ladder, the normal force from the wall, and the normal force from the floor. These forces must be balanced in order for the ladder to remain in equilibrium.

2. How can I determine the magnitude and direction of the forces on a ladder?

The magnitude and direction of the forces on a ladder can be determined by using Newton's laws of motion and setting up a free body diagram. The weight of the ladder and the person can be calculated using their masses and the acceleration due to gravity. The normal forces can be determined by considering the contact points between the ladder, wall, and floor.

3. What is the role of friction in solving forces on a ladder?

Friction plays a crucial role in solving forces on a ladder as it helps to keep the ladder in place and prevents it from slipping. The friction force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the ladder and must be taken into account when calculating the net forces on the ladder.

4. Can the angle of the ladder affect the forces on the ladder?

Yes, the angle of the ladder can affect the forces on the ladder. As the angle increases, the magnitude of the normal force from the wall decreases while the magnitude of the normal force from the floor increases. This is because the weight of the ladder and the person are distributed differently at different angles.

5. How can I ensure the ladder is in stable equilibrium?

To ensure the ladder is in stable equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on the ladder must be equal to zero and the sum of all the torques must also be equal to zero. This means that the ladder will not topple over or slide down the wall. It is important to make sure the ladder is placed on a flat and stable surface and that the weight on the ladder is evenly distributed.