Solving Free-fall: 10kg Object Dropped from Great Height

• Thread starter darthxepher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bodies
You are not providing enough information for us to determine what you are doing wrong. Please provide more details about your attempted solution so we can assist you better.In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an object dropped from a great height with air resistance, and the person is seeking help on finding the velocity and distance after 5 seconds. They have attempted to solve the problem but are unsure of their solution and are asking for assistance.
darthxepher
I am having trouble on this problem.

An object of mass 10 kg is dropped from a great height. (a) If the object is subjected to air resistance equivalent to 10 times the instantaneous velocity, find the velocity. (b) How far does the object drop after 5 sec?

Ok so I thought the equation would be:

10(dv/dt) = 98-10v

but when i do the integrating factor or seperable i don't get the answer. Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
We keep getting questions like this. NO, no one can tell you what you are doing wrong because we don't know what you are doing! Please show (i) how you solved this problem, (ii) what you got as a solution, (iii) why you think that is wrong.

(i) how you solved this problem,

An object of mass 10 kg is dropped from a great height. (a) If the object is subjected to air resistance equivalent to 10 times the instantaneous velocity, find the velocity. (b) How far does the object drop after 5 sec?

(ii) what you got as a solution,

Don't know how to start.

(iii) why you think that is wrong.

FAQ: Solving Free-fall: 10kg Object Dropped from Great Height

1. How does the mass of the object affect its free-fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free-fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall towards the ground at the same rate due to the force of gravity.

2. What is the acceleration of an object in free-fall?

The acceleration of an object in free-fall is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This is known as the acceleration due to gravity and is a constant for all objects on Earth.

3. How long does it take for a 10kg object to reach the ground when dropped from a great height?

The time it takes for a 10kg object to reach the ground when dropped from a great height can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Assuming the object is dropped from a height of 100 meters, it would take approximately 4.51 seconds to reach the ground.

4. What is the velocity of the object when it hits the ground?

The velocity of the object when it hits the ground can also be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity and t is the time. Using the same example of a 10kg object dropped from a height of 100 meters, the velocity when it hits the ground would be approximately 44.1 m/s.

5. How can air resistance affect the free-fall of an object?

Air resistance can affect the free-fall of an object by slowing down its acceleration and ultimately its velocity. This is because as an object falls, it encounters air molecules which create a force in the opposite direction, known as drag. This force increases as the object's velocity increases, eventually reaching a point where it balances out the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.