Solving Friction Problems: 500N Box on a Non-Frictionless Floor

• Thread starter Jkblackbear08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves moving a 500 N box across a floor with a non-zero coefficient of friction. The box is pulled with a horizontal rope and a force of 200 N to maintain a constant velocity of 3m/s. The question also asks for the coefficient of friction when the box is pulled at a 30 degree angle with a 0.4 coefficient and the tension in the rope. The person seeking help is struggling with similar problems and is looking for assistance.
Jkblackbear08

Homework Statement

You need to move a 500 N box across the floor. You pull on the box with a rope which is also horizontal. The floor is not frictionless. You move the box so that it moves with a constant v of 3m/s by applying a 200 N force.

Coefficient of Friction?

Also,

same question except pull the box at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal, use 0.4 coefficient.

what is the tension in the rope

The Attempt at a Solution

I just really can't even get started on this one, i have no idea, my professor really didnt cover to much of this but gave us 4 similar questions on it, any help would help me out...

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Solving Friction Problems: 500N Box on a Non-Frictionless Floor

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. It can cause objects to slow down or stop, or it can provide the necessary force for an object to move.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction depends on the type of surface, the weight of the objects, and the force applied to the objects.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, or by using smooth surfaces.

5. What are some examples of friction in everyday life?

Some examples of friction include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together to create heat, and using brakes on a bicycle to slow down or stop.