Solving Gaussian Integral with Complex offset

In summary, the given problem involves showing that the integral of a function, f(x) = e^{-ax^2/2}, can be simplified to \^{f} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i \xi x - ax^2/2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \surd\frac{2}{a} = e^{-\xi^2/2a} by completing the square in the exponent, using Cauchy's theorem to shift the path of integration, and using the relation \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{- ax^2/2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \surd\
Fingolfin_Noldo

Homework Statement

Given [tex]f(x) = e^{-ax^2/2} [/tex] with a > 0 then show that [tex]\^{f} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i \xi x - ax^2/2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \surd\frac{2}{a} = e^{-\xi^2/2a}[/tex] by completing the square in the exponent, using Cauchy's theorem to shift the path of integration from the real axis (Im x = 0) to the horizontal line I am x = -[tex]\xi/a[/tex] and finally use the relation [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{- ax^2/2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \surd\pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

Show [tex]\^{f} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i \xi x - ax^2/2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \surd\frac{2}{a} e^{-\xi^2/2a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed the squares and set x = x' + i [tex]\xi/a[/tex]. But now I have an integral from [tex]-\infty + i\xi/a[/tex] to [tex]\infty + i\xi/a[/tex]. Is there something I am missing here? Should I construct some contour? Constructing a semi-circle won't work since the arc does not converge. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want an explicit contour your could draw a rectangle connecting the line with imaginary part [tex]i\xi/a[/tex] to the real axis. As the ends of the rectangle go to infinity their contribution vanishes. And there are no poles enclosed. So the integral over your line is the same as the integral over the real axis.

Related to Solving Gaussian Integral with Complex offset

1. How do I solve a Gaussian integral with a complex offset?

To solve a Gaussian integral with a complex offset, you can use the substitution method. This involves substituting the complex offset into the integral and using complex numbers to simplify the expression. You can also use the residue theorem or contour integration techniques to solve the integral.

2. What is a Gaussian integral with a complex offset?

A Gaussian integral with a complex offset is an integral that involves a Gaussian function with a complex number added to the variable. This type of integral can be challenging to solve because it involves complex numbers, and the standard techniques for solving integrals may not apply.

3. Why is it important to be able to solve a Gaussian integral with a complex offset?

Gaussian integrals with a complex offset arise in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and mathematics. Being able to solve these integrals is crucial for understanding and solving problems in these fields. It also allows for the evaluation of complex functions and the derivation of important formulas and equations.

4. What are some practical applications of solving Gaussian integrals with a complex offset?

Solving Gaussian integrals with a complex offset can be applied in various fields, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. In signal processing, these integrals are used to analyze and filter signals. In quantum mechanics, they are used to calculate the probability amplitudes of particles. In statistical mechanics, they are used to calculate the partition function, which is essential for studying the properties of systems with a large number of particles.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving Gaussian integrals with a complex offset?

Some tips for solving Gaussian integrals with a complex offset include using the substitution method, understanding the properties of complex numbers, and being familiar with complex analysis techniques. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the Gaussian function and its properties, such as its symmetry and how it behaves under different mathematical operations. Practice and familiarity with complex numbers and integrals will also aid in solving these types of integrals.