Solving Gearbox Ratio for 12" Wheel Travel @ 2mph

In summary, to get a 12 inch wheel to travel at 2mph, you need a gearbox output of approximately 56.02 RPM. To calculate this, you can use the equation 1 foot * 3.14 * gearbox output rpm * 60, and then divide it by 5280 to get the final mph. It is important to do this calculation backwards, starting with the desired mph and working backwards to find the necessary gearbox output rpm.
SevenToFive
I need to figure out a gearbox ratio to get a 12 inch wheel to travel at 2mph. If I remember right the equation should be 1foot * 3.14*gearbox output rpm*60 then all divided by 5280 to get the final mph. Am I on the right path? Then I need a gearbox output around 58rpm.

Thanks to all of you who reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SevenToFive said:
I need to figure out a gearbox ratio to get a 12 inch wheel to travel at 2mph. If I remember right the equation should be 1foot * 3.14*gearbox output rpm*60 then all divided by 5280 to get the final mph. Am I on the right path? Then I need a gearbox output around 58rpm.
You're close to the "right path." Just one little adjustment.

Do it backwards.
12” diam = 1 ft wheel, at 2mph.
wheel circumference = Pi * diam = Pi feet.
2 mph = 2 * 5280 feet per hour = 10560 ft per hour
revs per hour = 10560 / Pi = 3361.35
revs per min = 10560 / ( 60 * Pi ) = 56.02 RPM

Likes SevenToFive

Related to Solving Gearbox Ratio for 12" Wheel Travel @ 2mph

What is the formula for calculating gearbox ratio for 12" wheel travel at 2mph?

The formula for calculating gearbox ratio is Gearbox Ratio = (Wheel Travel / Speed) x (Gear Ratio x Efficiency). For a 12" wheel travel at 2mph, the formula would be (12 / 2) x (Gear Ratio x Efficiency).

What is the purpose of calculating gearbox ratio for 12" wheel travel at 2mph?

The purpose of calculating gearbox ratio is to determine the number of rotations of the motor required to achieve a specific wheel travel at a given speed. This information is important for designing and optimizing gear systems for efficient and effective performance.

How does the wheel diameter affect the gearbox ratio calculation?

The wheel diameter is an important factor in the gearbox ratio calculation as it directly affects the distance traveled per rotation of the wheel. A larger wheel diameter will require a lower gear ratio to achieve the same wheel travel as a smaller wheel diameter.

What is the role of efficiency in the gearbox ratio calculation?

Efficiency is a measure of the energy lost in a system and plays a critical role in the gearbox ratio calculation. It accounts for factors such as friction and heat loss, and is necessary for accurately predicting the performance of a gear system.

Are there any other factors that can impact the gearbox ratio calculation?

Yes, aside from wheel diameter and efficiency, other factors such as gear type, gear size, and motor power can also impact the gearbox ratio calculation. It is important to consider all these factors when designing a gear system for optimal performance.