Solving General Trig Problem: Find Area & Tower Location

In summary, the two cell phone towers have broadcast radii of 50 miles and 60 miles respectively and are located 100 miles apart. The area of coverage for both towers can be calculated by adding the area of circle 1 and circle 2 and subtracting the overlapping segments. For part b, a third tower with a broadcast radius of 30 miles is needed to provide coverage for a teacher's house located outside the coverage of the first two towers. The third tower should be located on the perpendicular bisector of the segment through the centers of the first two towers and should be at least 60 miles from both towers. The exact location of the third tower can be determined using geometric methods.
Xhanger

Homework Statement

Cell phone tower #1 has a broadcast radius of 50 miles. Tower #2 has a broadcast radius of 60 miles and is located at a bearing of N 64 W of tower #1. The towers are 100 miles apart

the questions:
A.How much area has coverage by both towers? (dont need the N 64 W)

B.A certain teacher who shall remain nameless, wants to build a house slightly out of range of either tower, in a general southwesterly direction from Tower #1. If the teacher will be lobbying for a new tower to be added so s/he will have coverage, where should Tower #3 be located? Note Tower 3 will have a broadcast radius of only 30 miles and should be spaced evenly as possible from the two other towers. Give the location as both bearing and distance from each of the other towers

hint: for part b) remember form geometry how the find the points that are equidistant from two given points? Look it up.

Heres a pic of what the picture looks like on the paper.
untitled5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a do you use the sector area formula then subtract some stuff?
Then for part b i honestly have no idea what to do. There are a few questions after it but I will be able to solve them after I learn how to do these ones.

Any help is welcomed
Thanks,
Xhanger

Physics news on Phys.org
Xhanger said:
bump

For part a) you add the area of circle 1 and the area of circle 2, then subtract the segments. There might be an easier way to do it, but I'd have to spend more time researching that...

For part b) , you might recall that any point on the perpendicular bisector of the segment through the centers of the circles will be equidistant. So we want a point on the perp. bisector!
It has to be at least 60 miles from tower 2 (and therefore from tower 1 also) since we require it to be out of range.

Hope that helps!

The Chaz said:
For part a) you add the area of circle 1 and the area of circle 2, then subtract the segments. There might be an easier way to do it, but I'd have to spend more time researching that...

For part b) , you might recall that any point on the perpendicular bisector of the segment through the centers of the circles will be equidistant. So we want a point on the perp. bisector!
It has to be at least 60 miles from tower 2 (and therefore from tower 1 also) since we require it to be out of range.

Hope that helps!

Wrong circles, any circles of equal radius will do; but the broadcast area circles are not and won't. The question is whether any location outside the overlap of coverage is not beyond the 30 miles. Perhaps the solution is the line of all equidistant points. Probably not.

"Any circles" --? I'm afraid I don't understand what you are talking about. There are three circles with distinct radii.

"probably not" --? Then what do you propose?

The Chaz said:
"Any circles" --? I'm afraid I don't understand what you are talking about. There are three circles with distinct radii.

"probably not" --? Then what do you propose?

There appears to be something critical missing from your problem that would tie the location of tower #3 down to one point, since it asks for range and bearing to this point.

Also, as stated, the house is outside #1 and #2; but there is no such restriction on the location of #3. My "probably not" referred to the possibility that there would be some location on the line of equidistance ("spaced evenly as possible from the two towers") between the other two where #3's radius did not extend beyond the coverage of the other two; however, there isn't. So as I now see it #3 could be anywhere on that line.

Perhaps, you've left something out?

Attachments

• Celtower.jpg
    Celtower.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 344
The way I read it (which could be wrong..), the circle of radius 30, centered at point #3, is to have NO overlap with either of the other circles.
With this understanding, #3 cannot be "anywhere" on the line. If we go down that line, say 500 miles, we can meet the conditions that the tower be equally spaced from #1 and #2. But to find the closest... there is exactly one point. No more information is needed.

p.s. the "house" has no significance in this problem, except to give validity (or some sense of realism) to the ACTUAL problem of locating tower #3

The Chaz said:
The way I read it (which could be wrong..), the circle of radius 30, centered at point #3, is to have NO overlap with either of the other circles.
With this understanding, #3 cannot be "anywhere" on the line. If we go down that line, say 500 miles, we can meet the conditions that the tower be equally spaced from #1 and #2. But to find the closest... there is exactly one point. No more information is needed.

p.s. the "house" has no significance in this problem, except to give validity (or some sense of realism) to the ACTUAL problem of locating tower #3

I guess we assume the house is to the southwest because of the original diagram.

I have drawn out what you said, and it looks fairly straightforward.

Attachments

• Celtower2.jpg
    Celtower2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 312
That's awesome (!), and exactly what I had in mind. What software do you use?

The Chaz said:
That's awesome (!), and exactly what I had in mind. What software do you use?

I just use Turbocad. It doesn't have anything to do with the math.

If #3 isn't equidistant from the other two, it's a little messy, by the way.

Attachments

• Celtower3.jpg
    Celtower3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 297

Related to Solving General Trig Problem: Find Area & Tower Location

1. How do I find the area of a triangle using trigonometry?

In order to find the area of a triangle using trigonometry, you will need to know the length of two sides and the measure of the angle between them. Then, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * a * b * sin(C) where A is the area, a and b are the lengths of the sides, and C is the angle between them. Simply plug in the values and solve for A.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In trigonometry, this theorem is used to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle by using the trigonometric ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. How do I determine the location of a tower using trigonometry?

In order to determine the location of a tower using trigonometry, you will need to measure the angles of elevation from two different points on the ground. Then, using the tangent function, you can set up a proportion to find the distance between the points and the tower. This method is called triangulation and is commonly used in navigation and surveying.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve any type of triangle?

No, trigonometry can only be used to solve right triangles or triangles with at least one known angle and side. If you are given a triangle with no known angles or sides, you will not be able to use trigonometry to solve it. In this case, you may need to use other geometric formulas or the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometry to solve general problems?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians when using a calculator. Another mistake is using the wrong trigonometric ratio for the given problem. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct formula and units in order to get the correct solution.