Solving Hess' Law for C2H6 Combustion: kJ/mol

• Thread starter Tooren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: The answer given to you was wrong.In summary, the standard enthalpy of combustion of C2H6 is -1561 kJ/mol. There may be a typo in the provided answer, as it is very close to the calculated answer of -1561 kJ/mol. Additionally, the heat of combustion is typically specified for products of CO2 and H2O(g), not H2O(l). Therefore, your calculations are correct and the given answer is likely incorrect.
Tooren
Having some issues with this.

"What is the standard enthalpy of combustion of C2H6 in kj/mol?
H2(g) + 1/2O2(g) --> H2O(l) H0= –286 kJ
C2H4(g) + H2(g) --> C2H6(g) H0= –137 kJ
C2H4(g) + 3O2(g) --> 2CO2(g) + 2H2O(l) H0= –1412 kJ"

Now, the answer is presumedly -31561 kj. But I'm getting no where a number that close.

Since C2H6 is combusted, I want the end-result to be:
(2)C2H6 + (7)O2 --> (6)H2O + (4)CO2 (right?)
So I would turn around the 2nd one to:
C2H6(g) --> C2H4(g) + H2(g)
and then:
2 * [C2H6(g) --> C2H4(g) + H2(g) ]

2 * [H2(g) + (1/2)O2 --> H2O(l)]

2 * [C2H4(g) + 3O2(g) --> 2CO2(g) + 2H2O(l)]
Which gets me 3122 kJ, or 1561kj/mol.
Did I do something wrong? Miss a step? Where could the other 30,000 kj come from?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your answer (-1561 kJ/mol) seems to be right. There must be a typo in the provided answer.

Why are there question marks (?) at the end of each reaction in your question ?

I am not sure, but please look carefully the given data; they say kj, but want kj over moles. So you may have to multiply the findings with Avogadro's number to obtain how much enthalpy is needed for one mole.

Secondly, the numbers -31561 and -1561 are very close, except the 3 in thi first one; as Gokul said, a typo is probably present here.

I did this independently and got the same answer (H = -1561 kJ/mol), but I have one minor concern. Typically, the heat of combustion is specified for any hydrocarbon with the products being CO2 and H2O(g). You have H2O(l) in your equation, so I looked up the molar enthalphy of vaporization of water , but 3 moles of water certainly does not contribute 30,000 kJ, so that's not it.

Tooren, you've done everything correctly - don't worry.

Related to Solving Hess' Law for C2H6 Combustion: kJ/mol

What is Hess' Law and how does it relate to C2H6 combustion?

Hess' Law states that the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken to achieve the final products. In the case of C2H6 combustion, Hess' Law allows us to calculate the enthalpy change using a series of reactions that have known enthalpy values.

What are the steps involved in solving Hess' Law for C2H6 combustion?

The steps involved in solving Hess' Law for C2H6 combustion are as follows:

1. Identify the desired reaction (in this case, the combustion of C2H6).
  2. Write out the balanced chemical equation for the desired reaction.
  3. Identify and write out any other reactions that can be used to obtain the desired reaction.
  4. Manipulate the given reactions to obtain the desired reaction, if necessary.
  5. Combine the reactions using Hess' Law to calculate the overall enthalpy change.

What are the units for the enthalpy values used in solving Hess' Law for C2H6 combustion?

The enthalpy values used in solving Hess' Law for C2H6 combustion are typically given in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

What factors can affect the accuracy of the enthalpy values used in solving Hess' Law for C2H6 combustion?

The accuracy of the enthalpy values used in solving Hess' Law for C2H6 combustion can be affected by factors such as experimental error, variations in reactant and product compositions, and changes in temperature and pressure.

Why is it important to use Hess' Law when calculating the enthalpy change for C2H6 combustion?

Using Hess' Law allows us to calculate the enthalpy change for a reaction without having to directly measure it. This can be helpful when direct measurement is not possible or when the reaction is difficult to perform. Additionally, Hess' Law provides a way to check the accuracy of experimental data by comparing it to calculated values.