Solving Homogeneous System of 3 Equations & 4 Variables

In summary, a homogeneous system of 3 equations and 4 variables is a set of linear equations where all the constants on the right side are equal to zero. To solve this type of system, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the matrix method. It is possible for a homogeneous system to have infinitely many solutions, and it can also have no solution if there is a contradiction in the equations. Substitution cannot be used to solve a homogeneous system as all the constants are equal to 0.
scientifico
Hi,
I'm solving out a homogeneous 3 equations and 4 variables system so I considered one variable as known term but the determinant of the matrix is 0, how do I use Cramer in this case ?
these are the 3 equations

2x + 3y - z - 2v = 0
4x - 3y - 5z + 5v = 0
8x + 3y - 7z + v = 0

determinant of {{2,3,-1},{4,-3,-5},{8,3,-7}} is 0

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
scientifico said:
Hi,
I'm solving out a homogeneous 3 equations and 4 variables system so I considered one variable as known term but the determinant of the matrix is 0, how do I use Cramer in this case ?

2x + 3y - z - 2v = 0
4x - 3y - 5z + 5v = 0
8x + 3y - 7z + v = 0

thanks

The normal way to solve a system like this would be to use row reduction.

but how can I solve it with Cramer ?

scientifico said:
Hi,
I don't think there is any reason that you should assume that one variable is known. This is apparently a system of three equations in four unknowns. The matrix of coefficients isn't square, so the concept of the determinant doesn't apply, and you can't use Cramer's Rule.
scientifico said:
2x + 3y - z - 2v = 0
4x - 3y - 5z + 5v = 0
8x + 3y - 7z + v = 0

thanks

scientifico said:
but how can I solve it with Cramer ?
As already noted, Cramer's Rule doesn't apply here. Follow the advice that LCKurtz gave.

Also note that it isn't obvious just looking at the system whether there might be 1 or more free variables. You really need row reduction to answer that.

scientifico said:
Hi,

2x + 3y - z - 2v = 0
4x - 3y - 5z + 5v = 0
8x + 3y - 7z + v = 0

thanks

Cramer's rule only applies when the determinant of coefficients is nonzero. No matter which column you omit, the resulting 3x3 matrix has zero determinant, so in this question Cramer's Rule fails in every single case you try.

As others have suggested, just use row reduction; but an equivalent description would be: just use the variable-elimination method as taught in high school.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Homogeneous System of 3 Equations & 4 Variables

1. What is a homogeneous system of 3 equations & 4 variables?

A homogeneous system is a set of linear equations where all the constants on the right side are equal to zero. In this case, it has 3 equations and 4 variables.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous system of 3 equations & 4 variables?

To solve this type of system, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the matrix method. Both methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables until you are left with a solution for each variable.

3. Can a homogeneous system of 3 equations & 4 variables have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a homogeneous system to have infinitely many solutions. This happens when there are more variables than equations, allowing for different combinations of values to satisfy the equations.

4. How do you know if a homogeneous system of 3 equations & 4 variables has no solution?

If you try to solve the system and end up with a contradiction, such as 0=1, then the system has no solution. This means that the equations are not consistent and cannot be satisfied simultaneously.

5. Can a homogeneous system of 3 equations & 4 variables be solved using substitution?

No, substitution cannot be used to solve a homogeneous system. This method involves solving one equation for one variable and then substituting that value into the other equations. However, in a homogeneous system, all the constants are equal to 0, making it impossible to isolate any variable using this method.