Solving Horizontal Motion Problem: Tension & Angular Speed

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a particle attached to a string and rotating in a horizontal circle. The person is struggling to find the correct tension and angular speed and is concerned about their incorrect answer. Another person points out their mistake in resolving the weight and gives the correct approach.
GregA
This question I was working on last light though I've solved it (by doing as the book has shown)...is giving me major cause for concern... I'm going to have to slightly re-word the books question so as to explain it without a diagram:

A particle P of weight 2kg is fastened to a length of extensible string AB of natural length 0.4m, and modulus of elasticity 12N. A is fixed and B rotates in a horizontal circle. Given that the extention of the string is 0.1m find,
a) the tension in the string
b) the angular speed of P

Firstly I shall define [tex] \theta [/tex] as the angle at A and [tex] L [/tex]and [tex] M [/tex] length of string and the mass of P respectively .

I find (a) merely by plugging what I know into [tex]T = \lambda \frac {x}{a} [/tex] and getting an answer of 3N
(b) is the problem :frown: there is only 3N of tension in the string and this is not going to balance 2g...so my first inclination to resolve vertically, find the angle, find the radius and then solve fails when I end up with [tex] cos\theta = \frac {2g}{3} [/tex]...this answer is greater than 1
To reach the books answer I had to express it as follows:
[tex] F = ma [/tex]
[tex] T = mr \omega^2 [/tex]
[tex] Tsin \theta = MLsin \theta \omega^2[/tex]
after cancelling [tex] sin \theta [/tex] on both sides The wole thing simplifies to
[tex] \omega = \sqrt {\frac {T}{ML}} [/tex]
and by plugging values: [tex] \omega = \sqrt {3} [/tex] which is what the book wants.

My major cause for concern is that the tension is not resolved vertically and the book makes no statement that it is resting on a horizontal surface...and even then, a mass of 2kg is going to want to stretch that string by just over 0.6m even at rest...by rotating as well it will want to stretch the string some more. But in spite of this I was able to just blindly use a formula and get an answer...an answer I am certain is wrong and makes me worry about other answers I may get in the future. Am I just talking BS and someone can point this out to me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GregA said:
(b) is the problem :frown: there is only 3N of tension in the string and this is not going to balance 2g...so my first inclination to resolve vertically, find the angle, find the radius and then solve fails when I end up with [tex] cos\theta = \frac {2g}{3} [/tex]

You've done this wrong. If you resolve the weight of the object so that is it parallel with the string you get;
[tex]2g\cos\theta = 3[/tex]
[tex]\theta = \cos^{-1}\frac{3}{2g}[/tex]

Can you see? :smile:

Thanks for the reply Hootenanny and though I can see what you're saying...I don't know where my line of reasoning breaks down then because:
3N is the tension in the string (the actual physical part of the string...the hypoteneuse if you will) and some of this 3N has to balance 2gN :confused: you suggest however I should express it as
[tex] 2gcos \theta =3 [/tex] as opposed to [tex] 3cos \theta =2g [/tex] ?:confused: ( I know that with your suggestion I can find a value for [tex] \theta [/tex] but I just can't see how it suits the problem to use this if you know what I mean)

Last edited:
I'm saying that instead of resolving the tension vertically, you should resolve the weight of the particle parallel to the tension. Tension can only be applied by the force parallel to the string/rod. If you resolve the string/tension, this force is not parallel to the string, this is why the cosine of your angle is greater than one.

If you resolve the particle parallel to the string, you can then use trig to find the radius of the horizontal circle and then as the solution states [itex]F = mr\omega^2[/itex] to find the angular velocity.

I see...thanks Hootenanny :smile: (stupid book let's me work in ignorance :frown: )

Related to Solving Horizontal Motion Problem: Tension & Angular Speed

1. What is horizontal motion and how is it related to tension and angular speed?

Horizontal motion refers to the movement of an object in a horizontal direction, meaning left to right or right to left. Tension is the force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a central point. These three concepts are related because the tension on an object can affect its angular speed, and vice versa.

2. How do you calculate tension in a horizontal motion problem?

To calculate tension in a horizontal motion problem, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration of gravity, and the angle at which the object is being pulled. You can then use the equation T = mg sinθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration of gravity, and θ is the angle at which the object is being pulled.

3. Can you explain the concept of centripetal force in relation to horizontal motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In horizontal motion problems, this force is provided by the tension in the string or rope that is pulling the object. Without this centripetal force, the object would move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

4. How does the angle of pull affect the tension and angular speed in a horizontal motion problem?

The angle of pull can affect both the tension and angular speed in a horizontal motion problem. As the angle increases, the tension on the object will decrease, and the angular speed will also decrease. This is because a larger angle means that less of the force is being directed towards the circular motion, resulting in a weaker centripetal force.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving horizontal motion problems involving tension and angular speed?

There are many real-life applications of solving horizontal motion problems involving tension and angular speed. For example, engineers use these concepts when designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides. Scientists also use these calculations to study the motion of planets in our solar system. Additionally, athletes and dancers use these principles to perform complex movements and stunts while maintaining their balance and control.