Solving Hydrostatic Forces with Integral or Volume/Weight?

In summary, the speaker is trying to solve a problem from fluid mechanics and is unsure if there is a vertical component of force acting upward in the "dam." They are wondering if there is another method to solve the problem without integration by using properties such as volume and specific weight. The speaker is unsure what the various parts of the drawing represent, but states that pressure always acts normal to the surface, so if the normal vector has a vertical component, the pressure force will also have a vertical component. They suggest writing an expression for the normal vector as a function of x or y and using that in the integration.
Link-
I am actually trying to solve a problem from fluid mechanics. The especifications of the problem are on the attachment.

I can solve the problem easily by integration, but I'm not so sure if there is a vertical component of a force in the "dam" acting upward. There is a vertical component of the force acting upward?
If there is, there is another method to solve the problem without integration, using properties such as volume, specific weight... to find that vertical component?

Attachments

• scan2.jpg
    scan2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the various parts of your drawing represent. However, in general, pressure always acts normal to the surface. So if the normal vector of your surface at a given point has a vertical component then the pressure force will also have a vertical component. The easiest way to do something like this is to write an expression for the normal vector as a function of x (or y) and then use that in the integration.

I would recommend using the integral method to solve this problem. This method is commonly used in fluid mechanics and is a reliable and accurate way to calculate hydrostatic forces. It takes into account the pressure distribution and the shape of the object, making it a more comprehensive approach.

Regarding the vertical component of the force, it is important to note that in hydrostatics, the pressure acts perpendicular to the surface of the object. Therefore, in this case, there would be a vertical component of the force acting upward. This component can be calculated by taking into account the specific weight of the fluid and the volume of the object.

While it is possible to use other properties such as volume and specific weight to calculate the vertical component, it may not be as accurate as using the integral method. Furthermore, the integral method provides a more comprehensive understanding of the forces acting on the object.

In conclusion, I would recommend using the integral method to solve this problem as it is a reliable and accurate approach in fluid mechanics. It takes into account all the necessary factors and provides a thorough understanding of the hydrostatic forces at play.

FAQ: Solving Hydrostatic Forces with Integral or Volume/Weight?

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on a surface due to the weight of the fluid above the surface. It is a result of the pressure exerted by the fluid on the surface.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

Hydrostatic force can be calculated by using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the surface area of the object.

3. What is the difference between solving hydrostatic forces with integral and volume/weight methods?

Solving hydrostatic forces with integral method involves breaking down the fluid into small sections and integrating over the entire surface to calculate the force. On the other hand, solving with volume/weight method involves calculating the weight of the fluid above the surface and using it to determine the force.

4. What is the importance of solving hydrostatic forces?

Solving hydrostatic forces is important in many engineering applications, such as designing dams, ships, and other structures that are in contact with fluids. It helps in predicting the stability and strength of these structures under different fluid pressures.

5. What are some real-life examples where hydrostatic forces are important?

Hydrostatic forces are important in many daily life scenarios, such as in swimming pools, where the pressure of the water is exerted on the walls and floor of the pool. They are also crucial in designing and operating hydraulic systems, such as in dams and pipes, where the weight of the fluid is used to generate energy or transfer it to other locations.

Back