Solving IDL PKUNZIP and PKZIP Issues on Win 7

• Thread starter swartzism
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to get old code that works on a 32-bit machine to work on a 64-bit machine. The issue is with PKUNZIP and PKZIP not being compatible with a 64-bit OS. The person tried using WinRAR and WinZip as alternatives but they didn't work. They were able to fix the issue by downloading zip and unzip with Cygwin and using shortcuts to the executable files.
swartzism
Heads up: I am working in IDL (which I have never done before)

I am trying to get old code which works on a 32-bit machine to work on 64-bit and am having trouble with PKUNZIP and PKZIP which aren't compatible with a 64-bit OS (Windows 7). I have 2 executable files, PKUNZIP and PKZIP, which are used in the IDL code as

Code:
cd, skypath, current=thisone
spawn,'del skyfiles.*'
spawn,'del unpack.zip'
spawn, 'rename '+zipfile+' unpack.zip'
spawn, 'pkunzip -o unpack.zip'

spawn,'pkzip skyfile.zip skyfiles.rad skyfiles.trn skyfiles.dep skyfiles.uwr'
spawn,'rename skyfile.zip '+'SKY'+zipfile

Since PKUNZIP and PKZIP don't work, does anyone know of any alternatives that can? I've tried WinRAR and WinZip, but I couldn't get them to work. I believe that they wouldn't work due to the fact that they open a GUI which asks where to unzip rather than simply unzipping to a folder named in the IDL code. Does anyone have any experience in messing with stuff like this?

Thanks in advance.

Technology news on Phys.org
Fixed it. Downloaded zip and unzip with Cygwin, tar'd their folders and included a shortcut to the executable files in place of PKUNZIP and PKZIP. Works fine (if cygwin1.dll is included in the same directory as the original executable)

Related to Solving IDL PKUNZIP and PKZIP Issues on Win 7

1. Why am I having trouble opening PKUNZIP and PKZIP on Windows 7?

This is likely due to compatibility issues between the software and the operating system. PKUNZIP and PKZIP were designed for older versions of Windows and may not function properly on Windows 7.

2. How can I fix the issue of PKUNZIP and PKZIP not working on Windows 7?

There are a few potential solutions to this problem. One option is to try running the software in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows. Another option is to use a different file extraction tool that is compatible with Windows 7.

3. Are there any updates or patches available to make PKUNZIP and PKZIP compatible with Windows 7?

No, unfortunately there are no official updates or patches available to make these programs compatible with Windows 7. However, there are some unofficial patches and workarounds that may be available online.

4. Is there a way to use PKUNZIP and PKZIP on Windows 7 without any compatibility issues?

One option is to run a virtual machine with an older version of Windows installed, allowing you to use PKUNZIP and PKZIP within that virtual environment. Another option is to use a different file extraction tool that is compatible with Windows 7.

5. Is it possible to convert PKUNZIP and PKZIP files to a format that is compatible with Windows 7?

Yes, it is possible to convert these files to a different format that is compatible with Windows 7. However, this may require the use of a third-party file conversion tool and could result in loss of data or functionality. It is recommended to use a different file extraction tool or virtual machine instead.