Solving Inductor 12 Henry Discharge: R Calculations

In summary, the question is asking for the resistance of a resistor in a circuit with an inductor of 12 Henry and an energy supply of Emf knot, after the switch is opened at t=0 leading to rapid discharge. The flash from the discharge lasts 50 ms and the final current is expected to be 0 A. The equation i=Ie^(-R/L)t can be used to find the final current, but taking the ln of the final current gives varying results. It is suggested to use \tau = L/R to solve for the resistance, with \tau possibly being a factor of the time constant.
georgedaisuki

Homework Statement

Inductor 12 Henry, energy supply is Emf knot.

At t=0, the switch is opened which leads to rapid discharge along a resistor. The flash from the discharge lasted 50 ms. What is the resistance of the resistor?

Homework Equations

I know to use i=Ie^(-R/L) t but what would I use for the final current since it goes to zero?

Ln 0 is undefined.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be enough to say the final current is .0000001 and the initial current is 1. But taking ln of the final current gives many different numbers depending on accurate you make the initial current. Is there a better way to solve this>?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well ideally it takes an infinite amount of time for the current to drop to 0 A. But in reality it is usually some factor of the time constant. Does your book mention something about how long it takes for the current to be considered 0 A? For example, [tex]5\tau[/tex]. Where:

[tex] \tau = L/R[/tex]

Related to Solving Inductor 12 Henry Discharge: R Calculations

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is made up of a coil of wire, and when an electric current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created.

What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the henry (H). It is named after Joseph Henry, who discovered electromagnetic induction.

How do you calculate the discharge time of an inductor?

The discharge time of an inductor can be calculated using the formula t = L/R, where t is the discharge time in seconds, L is the inductance in henrys, and R is the resistance in ohms.

What is the purpose of R in inductor discharge calculations?

R represents the resistance in an electric circuit and is a crucial factor in determining the discharge time of an inductor. The higher the resistance, the longer it will take for the inductor to discharge.

How can inductor discharge be useful in electronics?

Inductor discharge calculations are essential in designing and analyzing electronic circuits. They help determine the time constant and the behavior of an inductor in a circuit, which is crucial for proper functioning of electronic devices.