Solving Integral: \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{x^n}{\sqrt{1-m\cos x}}dx

• Thread starter csopi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the integral \int _0^{2\pi}\frac{x^n}{\sqrt{1-m\cos x}}dx, where 0<m<1. One person has tried using the binomial series and replacing cos(x)^k with a polynomial of cos(r*x), but the resulting formula was too complicated. Another person suggests using integration by parts and using the fact that cos(x) can be written as a power of e^(ix) and e^(-ix). However, there are concerns about the complexity of the resulting terms.
csopi
Hi,

I need some help to calculate this integral:
[tex]\int _0^{2\pi}\frac{x^n}{\sqrt{1-m\cos x}}dx[/tex], where 0<m<1.

What I've already tried:
took the binomial series of (1-m cos(x))^(-1/2), this results in integrals like

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} x^n(\cos x)^k dx[/tex]

After this I've replaced cos(x)^k as a polynomial of cos(r*x) (r=1,2,...,k). With this I've managed to get a formula (involving two summas), but it is so ugly that I cannot use them in any furhter calculations.(sorry, I don't know how to make formulas in PF, so I've inserted the LaTex code of it)

Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You integrate
[tex]\int x^ncos^k(x) dx[/tex]
using integration by parts- n times.

(I have replaced your "$" with [ tex ] to start and [ /tex ] to end the LaTeX- without the spaces.)

Also if you are curious you can use the fact that:

[itex]cos(x) = \frac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}{2}[/itex] and you can take that to whatever power you want. This even works for non-integral powers where the result is valid.

HallsofIvy:
Thank you for your help with the formula. However, I don't see how integration by parts works in this case, because while differentiating the cosine term, I will have some ugly terms.

chiro:
I think that this is exactly the same as what I've done (at least for integer k-s)

Related to Solving Integral: \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{x^n}{\sqrt{1-m\cos x}}dx

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What does the notation \int_0^{2\pi} mean?

The notation \int_0^{2\pi} represents the integral of a function over the interval from 0 to 2π. This means that the function will be evaluated at every point between 0 and 2π and the results will be added together to find the total value.

3. What is the purpose of solving an integral?

The purpose of solving an integral is to find the exact value of a function over a given interval. This can be used in various applications such as calculating areas, volumes, and probabilities.

4. How do you solve the integral \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{x^n}{\sqrt{1-m\cos x}}dx?

To solve this integral, we can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. Depending on the specific values of n and m, the integral can be simplified and evaluated using these methods.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving integrals?

Integrals have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, in physics, integrals can be used to calculate the work done by a force or the displacement of an object over time. In economics, integrals can be used to calculate the total revenue or profit of a business. In statistics, integrals are used to calculate probabilities and find areas under probability distributions.