Solving Kirchoff's Law for Loop 2: A Homework Challenge!

In summary: So you can just omit it from the equation.In summary, Kirchhoff's loop equations can be used to solve for the current through a resistor in a loop. However, the direction of the current must be considered when solving the equations.
fffff

Homework Statement

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/4445/kirchoffkq4.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first loop (2v battery)

the effective resistance is 33/7
the voltage is 2v

so current=v/i
=14/33 A

Now loop 2 is the problem.
i don't know how to add up the all the resistance.

or am i using the wrong approach here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9714/kirchoffhf5.jpg

ok for the first lloop

2=3(I1) + 4(I2) +3(I3)

the second loop

1=4(I4) +3(14)

but its still wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem I am having iswith the I3 part of the second loop
does current even flow there? or does i4 behave like i2 ?

I2 and I4 are the same because there is no node between them. Try writing Kirchhoff's loop equations for the two loops indicated and the node equation for the blue node.
[URL=http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kirchoffhf5zk0.jpg][PLAIN]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7638/kirchoffhf5zk0.th.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

Last edited:
ok for the first loop

2=3(I1) + 3(I3)

second
1=4(14) + 3(14)

I1=I2+I3

but dosend I4 go through the same direction as I1

Last edited:
fffff said:
second
1=4(14) + 3(14)

I don't know where that 14 came from. Just forget about what you wrote in your attempt and solve this by using only Kirchhoff's equations.

fffff said:
but dosend I4 go through the same direction as I1
The directions you choose are arbitrary. Only after you solved the equations you will know the real direction of each current.

But for the voltage sources you must consider the direction of the voltage. Look again at the direction of the voltage from the 1V source and see what sign it should have in the equation you wrote.

Yes, I2=I4
Thats was what I meant
But are my equations correct

let me edit my 2nd equation

1=4I2 +3(12-I3)

Last edited:
Hint: what is the constraint on I3?

Have you ever heard of mesh current analysis? You might be able to find some helpful examples in there.

fffff said:
1=4I2 +3(12-I3)
You defined I3 as the current that flows through the 3ohm resistor from the small loop. Why do you add I4 to it? I4=I2 is the current through the 4ohm resistor.

I didnt add I4 to it

1=4 I2 + 3(I2-I3)

(12-13) would be the net current flowing into the 3 ohm resistor in the small loop

or do you consider them separately.

say

1 V = 4 I2 + 3 I3

Then for the first loop

2= 3 I1 + 3 i3

oh sorry for the small loop i3 is negative

fffff said:
or do you consider them separately.

say

1 V = 4 I2 - 3 I3

Exactly! Now,you have 2 equations and 3 unknown currents. You need one more equation. That's where the node equation comes in.

I3 doesn't matter because it is a combination of I1 and I2.

Related to Solving Kirchoff's Law for Loop 2: A Homework Challenge!

1. What is Kirchoff's Law for loop 2?

Kirchoff's Law for loop 2, also known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of the voltage drops (or rises) around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

2. How do I approach solving Kirchoff's Law for loop 2?

To solve Kirchoff's Law for loop 2, you will need to identify all the voltage sources and voltage drops in the circuit, assign a polarity to each voltage source, and use the law to create an equation that equates the sum of the voltage drops to the sum of the voltage sources. You can then solve for the unknown variables using algebraic methods.

3. What are some tips for solving Kirchoff's Law for loop 2?

Some tips for solving Kirchoff's Law for loop 2 include drawing a clear and accurate circuit diagram, choosing a direction for the loop and being consistent with it throughout the calculation, and labeling all the known and unknown values in the circuit. It is also helpful to double check your calculations and make sure they follow the correct units.

4. Can Kirchoff's Law for loop 2 be applied to all circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law for loop 2 can be applied to all circuits, regardless of their complexity. It is a fundamental law in circuit analysis and is used to calculate voltage drops and currents in a circuit.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Kirchoff's Law for loop 2?

One common mistake to avoid when solving Kirchoff's Law for loop 2 is forgetting to include all the voltage sources in the loop. Another mistake is mislabeling the polarity of the voltage sources, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It is also important to double check your algebraic equations and make sure they are set up correctly.