Solving Lagrange Multipliers: Find Extrema of Distance from (1,2,3) to Sphere

In summary, The Lagrange multiplier method can be used to find the extrema points of the distance from the point (1,2,3) to the surface of the sphere {x}^{2}+{y}^{2}+{z}^{2}=4. The possible values for of \lambda are 2, 3, and 4. The six critical points that will be generated are indicated by the two values of x that produce the smallest and the largest values of f(x,y,z).
ctb94
Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble with the Lagrange multiplier method. My question is:

Use the Lagrange multiplier method to find the extrema points of the distance from the point (1,2,3) to the surface of the sphere {x}^{2}+{y}^{2}+{z}^{2}=4. Find the possible values for of \lambda.

This is what I have so far:

\nablad=\lambdaq

d(x,y,z)={(x-1)}^{2}+{(y-2)}^{2}+{(z-3)}^{2}

2(x-1)=\lambda2x
2(y-2)=\lambda2y
2(z-3)=\lambda2z

This is where I become stuck on the problem. Thank you in advance for any help with this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by observing that the given sphere of radius 2 is centered at the origin, and the point $(1,2,3)$ is $\sqrt{14}$ units from the origin, so our extrema will have values of $\sqrt{14}\pm2$.

Now, we are given the objective function (let's use the square of the distance for simplcity):

\(\displaystyle f(x,y,z)=(x-1)^2+(y-2)^2+(z-3)^2\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-4=0\)

So, Lagrange gives us the system (after dividing through by 2 in each case):

\(\displaystyle x-1=\lambda x\)

\(\displaystyle y-2=\lambda y\)

\(\displaystyle z-3=\lambda z\)

Now, the first two equations imply:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-1}{x}=\frac{y-2}{y}\implies y=2x\)

And the first and third equations imply:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-1}{x}=\frac{z-3}{z}\implies z=3x\)

Substituting these values into the constraint, what do you find?

When substituting these values back into the constraint, I got x=+/-sqrt(2/7). Is this correct? If so, do I then substitute this back into y=2x and z=3x?

ctb94 said:
When substituting these values back into the constraint, I got x=+/-sqrt(2/7). Is this correct? If so, do I then substitute this back into y=2x and z=3x?

Yes, you are correct on both counts...how many critical points will this generate?

I believe it should be six critical points then, correct?

ctb94 said:
I believe it should be six critical points then, correct?

There are 2 possible values for each of $x$, $y$ and $z$, so the fundamental counting principle says there will be 8 permutations, in much the same way that a 3 digit binary number can have one of 8 possible values.

So, what you want to do is test all of these 8 critical points in your objective function, and then choose only the 2 points that result in your extrema, that is, the point that results in the smallest value and the point that results in the largest value.

That makes complete sense! Thank you so much for making this concept so much easier to understand!

Looking at the form of the objective function, we should easily be able to see that the maximum occurs when all the variables are negative, and the minimum occurs when they are all positive...let's see:

\(\displaystyle f_{\min}\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}},2\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}},3\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}\right)=14\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}-1\right)^2=14\left(\frac{2}{7}-2\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}+1\right)=18-4\sqrt{14}=\left(\sqrt{14}-2\right)^2\)

\(\displaystyle f_{\max}\left(-\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}},-2\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}},-3\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}\right)=14\left(\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}+1\right)^2=14\left(\frac{2}{7}+2\sqrt{\frac{2}{7}}+1\right)=18+4\sqrt{14}=\left(\sqrt{14}+2\right)^2\)

These values do in fact agree with the values we predicted at the beginning (noting that our objective function is the square of the distance).

Related to Solving Lagrange Multipliers: Find Extrema of Distance from (1,2,3) to Sphere

1. What is the purpose of using Lagrange Multipliers in this problem?

The purpose of using Lagrange Multipliers in this problem is to find the extrema (minimum or maximum) of the distance from a point to a sphere, subject to a constraint. This allows us to optimize the distance while satisfying the given constraint.

2. How does one set up the Lagrange Multiplier equation for this problem?

The Lagrange Multiplier equation for this problem involves the distance function, the equation of the sphere, and the constraint equation. We set up the equation by taking the partial derivatives of each function and setting them equal to the corresponding Lagrange Multiplier times the partial derivative of the constraint equation.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrange Multiplier in this problem?

The Lagrange Multiplier is a scalar value that represents the rate of change of the distance function along the constraint surface. It allows us to find the critical points where the distance function is stationary, and thus, the extrema of the distance from the point to the sphere.

4. Is it necessary to use Lagrange Multipliers to solve this problem?

No, it is not necessary to use Lagrange Multipliers to solve this problem. Other methods, such as the substitution method, can also be used to solve for the extrema of the distance from a point to a sphere. However, using Lagrange Multipliers can often make the problem easier and more efficient to solve.

5. Can Lagrange Multipliers be applied to other optimization problems?

Yes, Lagrange Multipliers can be applied to a wide range of optimization problems, including those with multiple constraints and variables. They are a useful tool in finding extrema for functions subject to constraints, and they have applications in various fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering.