Solving Lagrange Multipliers for f(x,y)=x^{2}y

In summary, using Lagrange Multipliers, we can find the maximum and minimum values of f(x,y)=x^{2}y subject to the constraint g(x,y)=x^{2}+y^{2}=1. By substituting the gradient vectors of f and g, we can solve for x and y, eliminating the need to solve for lambda. This leads to two equations with two unknowns, allowing us to find the maximum and minimum values of the function.
SelHype
Use Lagrange Multipliers to find the maximum and minimum values of f(x,y)=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]y subject to the constraint g(x,y)=x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1.

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f=[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]g

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f=<2xy,x[tex]^{2}[/tex]>
[tex]\nabla[/tex]g=<2x,2y>

1: 2xy=2x[tex]\lambda[/tex] ends up being y=[tex]\lambda[/tex]
2: x[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2y[tex]\lambda[/tex] ends up being(1 into 2) x=[tex]\sqrt{2\lambda[/tex] ^{2}}[/tex]
3: x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1

1 and 2 into 3:
(2[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex])+([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex])=1

Do I then solve for [tex]\lambda[/tex] and x and y? Did I do the above correctly? I am going off of an example of f(x,y,z) so I'm not sure if I'm correct. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful when dividing by a variable because x=0 could easily be a solution to this problem. Instead of trying to solve for lambda, try eliminating it. You could try multiplying the first equation by y and the second equation by x. You should get an equation for x and y, and so coupled with equation 3, you have two equations two unknowns.

FAQ: Solving Lagrange Multipliers for f(x,y)=x^{2}y

1. What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, subject to a set of constraints. They allow us to optimize a function while also satisfying certain conditions.

2. How do I solve for Lagrange multipliers?

To solve for Lagrange multipliers, we first need to set up the Lagrangian function, which is the original function plus the product of the constraints and their corresponding Lagrange multipliers. We then take the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to each variable, set them equal to 0, and solve for the variables and Lagrange multipliers.

3. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers is to optimize a function while also satisfying a set of constraints. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering, where we often need to maximize or minimize a function while taking into account certain limitations.

4. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for any type of function?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for any type of continuous function. However, they are most commonly used for functions with two or more variables and a set of constraints.

5. How do I know if my Lagrange multiplier solution is the maximum or minimum?

To determine if a Lagrange multiplier solution is the maximum or minimum, we can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, then the solution is a minimum, and if it is negative, then the solution is a maximum. If the second derivative is 0, then the test is inconclusive, and we may need to use other methods to determine the nature of the solution.