Solving LASER Problems with Energy Differences and Wavelength Calculations

• Thread starter SAT2400
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation discusses questions and solutions related to LASER problems. The first question asks for the energy difference in eV between two laser levels emitting at 10.6 um in the IR and the second question asks for the color and wavelength of a He-Ne laser operating between two levels that are 3.655 x10^-19J apart. The answers to these questions involve using the equations E = h * frequency and c = frequency * wavelength, where h is Planck's constant and c is the speed of light. The conversation also mentions the importance of using the correct units in calculations.
SAT2400
LASER Problems! HELP NEEDED!

Homework Statement

1. The carbon dioxide laser usually emits at 10.6 um in the IR. Typically such a device puts out a continuous emission of from a few watts to several kilowatts. Determine the energy difference in eV between the two laser levels for this wavelength.

2. A certain variation of He-Ne laser operates btwn two levels that are 3.655 x10^-19J apart. What color is the beam? comupte the wavelength.

Homework Equations

delta(E)=hc/^
^=wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

1. answer is .117eV ..(6.63x10^-34)(3x10^8)/(10.6x10^-6)??but didn't get it
2. answer is 543.5 nm( green)...3.655 x10^-19J =hc/^

Please HELP! THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Correct - the energy of a photon is E = h * frequency = h c / wavelenght

As long as you get the numbers correct in your calculator that's all there is to it - be careful that if 'c' is in metres your wavelength will also be in metres

c=3x10^8 right?
can you explain more...??tHanks

Explain why E = h * frequency ?
It's rather complex ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant)

c = 3x10^8 m/s (remember units matter!)
h = 6.6x10^-34 Js

So energy (J) = h (Js) * frequency (1/s), check that the units cancel

And since speed, c = frequency * wavelength you can rearrange this to give you
Energy (J) = h (Js) c (m/s) / wavelength (m), again the units cancel out to give you J

I already knew the equation...but I was not sure if I used the right numbers,,,??
h=6.63x10^-34Js c= 3x10^8m/s

whatelse??

thanks

For the first part of the problem it asks for the energy in eV
h = 4.14 x 10^-15 eV s

ahhh got it! THank you! :)

Can you please answer my other questions??(uncertainty problems?)

FAQ: Solving LASER Problems with Energy Differences and Wavelength Calculations

1. What are common problems with lasers?

Some common problems with lasers include misalignment, overheating, power fluctuations, and contamination of optical components.

2. How can I troubleshoot laser problems?

To troubleshoot laser problems, start by checking all connections and cleaning any contaminated optical components. If the issue persists, consult the laser's manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

3. Why is my laser not producing the desired output power?

This could be due to a number of reasons, such as a damaged laser diode, contamination of optical components, or power supply issues. It is important to properly diagnose and address the issue to prevent further damage to the laser.

4. How do I prevent overheating of my laser?

To prevent overheating, make sure the laser has proper ventilation and is not placed in direct sunlight. Additionally, regularly monitor and maintain the laser's cooling system, such as cleaning or replacing the fan and heat sink if necessary.

5. Can I fix laser problems myself or do I need professional help?

This depends on the type and severity of the problem. Some minor issues, such as cleaning optical components, can be done by the user. However, for more complex issues or if you are unsure how to address the problem, it is best to seek professional help to prevent further damage to the laser.