Solving LaTeX Numbering Problems in Projects

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the speaker is writing a project and using a template latex document to avoid worrying about the preamble and automatically include important information like university and degree name. They are having issues with the numbering in the definition environment, with the numbers continuing to increase as they move through sections. They are looking for a way to have the definitions numbered in a more professional format. They have tried using \numberwithin{equation}{section} in the preamble, but it only affected the equation numbering, not the definitions. They are seeking further recommendations for a solution.
latentcorpse
Hi. I'm writing a project and am using a template latex document with the idea being that i don't have to worry about the preamble etc and also so that includes important stuff automatically like university and degree name etc.

anyway, in my preamble i have:

\newtheorem{lemma}{Lemma}
\newtheorem{theorem}[lemma]{Theorem}
\newtheorem{corollary}[lemma]{Corollary}
\theoremstyle{definition}
\newtheorem{definition}[lemma]{Definition}
\theoremstyle{remark}
\newtheorem{remark}[lemma]{Remark}
\newtheorem{example}[lemma]{Example}

and i have been using the definition environment of this and it's working fine except for the numbering. for example in section 1.1 of my document i have definition 1, definition 2 and definition 3. then i go to section 1.2 and get definition 4. this is going to be a long project so by the time i finish i'll be getting things like definition 80!

i think it would look more professional (tell me if you disagree though!) if i could get the definitions in section 1.1 to be definition 1.1.1, definition 1.1.2 and deifnition 1.1.3 and then in section 1.2 have definition 1.2.1

does anybody know how to do this?

all help appreciated
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: \numberwithin{equation}{section} in your preamble. Not sure whether that will work for theorems, though...

hey. thanks for the reply. it works for tidying up the numbering of my equations but the definitions are still unchanged. any other recommendations?

cheers.

Related to Solving LaTeX Numbering Problems in Projects

What is LaTeX and why is it used for numbering in projects?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used for creating documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. It is a popular choice for academic and scientific projects because of its ability to produce high-quality, professional-looking documents with consistent numbering and formatting.

Why do I encounter numbering problems in my LaTeX project?

Numbering problems can occur in LaTeX due to various reasons, such as incorrect use of commands, conflicts between packages, or errors in the document structure. These issues can lead to unexpected or incorrect numbering in the document.

How can I troubleshoot and solve numbering problems in my LaTeX project?

If you encounter numbering problems in your LaTeX project, the first step is to identify the source of the issue. Check for any errors or warnings in the log file, and make sure all packages are loaded correctly. You can also try removing or commenting out any recently added code to see if it affects the numbering. If all else fails, seeking help from online forums or consulting with a LaTeX expert can also be helpful.

Is there a way to customize the numbering style in LaTeX?

Yes, LaTeX allows for customization of numbering styles using various packages and commands. For example, the package "enumitem" allows for customizing the numbering of lists, while the command "\renewcommand" can be used to change the numbering format of sections, equations, or figures.

How can I prevent numbering problems in my LaTeX project in the future?

To avoid numbering problems in your LaTeX project, it is important to have a good understanding of the commands and packages you are using. Make sure to follow proper document structure and syntax, and always check for errors and warnings. It can also be helpful to regularly save backups of your project and document any changes made to the code.