Solving limit problems for two variables

In summary, the conversation discussed a limit problem involving the expression x*y*e^(-(x+y)^2) as x^2+y^2 approaches infinity. The approach of expressing x and y in terms of polar coordinates was discussed, but it was mentioned that relying on luck and intuition may not be sufficient. The conversation then explored different possibilities for the limit and ways to show that it lacks a limit. It was also mentioned that there is no one general method for studying limits of an arbitrary number of variables.
dobedobedo
I just encountered a limit-problem [1] which is supposed to lack a limit:

x*y*e^(-(x+y)^2)

as x^2+y^2 approaches infinity and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

My approach was to express x and y in terms of polar coordinates, where x = r*cos(t) and y= r*sin(t). I got the following expression:

[(r^2)*cos(t)*sin(t)]/[e^(r^2)(1+cos(t)*sin(t))]

I don't see how it would be possible for me to deduce out of this expression that it lacks a limit. I do know that in general, one can refute the existence of the limit of an expression if one gets different limits when studying different curves/lines that intersect through the point (a,b) to which the point (x,y) approaches.

The problem with this method is that it largely relies on LUCK AND INTUITION. At least, that's the impression I get through the textbooks and lectures that I've had so far. I have not been introduced to a systematic approach. I would like someone to:

-Explain one way to show how this particular limit problem [1] lacks a limit.
-Explain if there are any systematic (or somewhat systematic) ways to study limits of two variables.
-Eventually explain more general methods that would apply for studies of limits of an arbitrary number of variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] (x+y)²=x²+y²+2xy [/itex]. we know that [itex] x²+y²= ∞ [/itex]
However, this means that there are many possibilities: x = ± ∞ or y=±∞. there are the following possibilities: x=+∞ and y=+∞ ; x=+∞ and y=-∞ ; x= + ∞ and y is a finite number greater than 0 ; x = + ∞ and y is a finite number smaller than 0 ; x=-∞ a and y= -∞ ; x= - ∞ and y= + ∞ ; x= - ∞ and y is some finite number greater than 0; x = - ∞ and y is some finite number smaller than 0. and of courses all the cases where x is some finite number (negative or positive).
so not only could [itex]x²+y²+2xy[/itex] be + ∞ or - ∞, it might also be undefined. (for instance when 2xy=-∞). or the whole thing may be undefined if x=0 and y=infinity.
hence I would presume that to know the limit is impossible.

Last edited:
dobedobedo said:
I just encountered a limit-problem [1] which is supposed to lack a limit:

x*y*e^(-(x+y)^2)

as x^2+y^2 approaches infinity and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

My approach was to express x and y in terms of polar coordinates, where x = r*cos(t) and y= r*sin(t). I got the following expression:

[(r^2)*cos(t)*sin(t)]/[e^(r^2)(1+cos(t)*sin(t))]

I don't see how it would be possible for me to deduce out of this expression that it lacks a limit. I do know that in general, one can refute the existence of the limit of an expression if one gets different limits when studying different curves/lines that intersect through the point (a,b) to which the point (x,y) approaches.

The problem with this method is that it largely relies on LUCK AND INTUITION.

Actually it relies more on experience.

-Explain one way to show how this particular limit problem [1] lacks a limit.
What happens if ##x\rightarrow \infty## along the line ##y=0##? In order to get rid of that negative exponential, you might try the limit along the line ##y=-x##. What happens there?
-Explain if there are any systematic (or somewhat systematic) ways to study limits of two variables.
Usually, if the limit doesn't exist, it isn't too difficult to find a couple of paths where the answers differ, which is all you need to show the limit doesn't exist.
-Eventually explain more general methods that would apply for studies of limits of an arbitrary number of variables.

Sometimes you can find an appropriate inequality or use a squeeze theorem or use something like your suggestion of polar coordinates. There is no one general method. What is normally done while learning the topic is to work some "easy" ones. Then you develop the limit theorems and continuity theorems and use them.

FAQ: Solving limit problems for two variables

What is a limit problem for two variables?

A limit problem for two variables involves finding the value of a function as the two variables approach a certain point or value. This is often used to analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How do you solve a limit problem for two variables?

To solve a limit problem for two variables, you can use algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing techniques. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior as the variables approach the given point.

What are the common techniques used to solve limit problems for two variables?

Some common techniques used to solve limit problems for two variables include factoring, rationalizing, and using trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to understand the properties of limits and how they can be applied in different situations.

Can limit problems for two variables have multiple solutions?

Yes, limit problems for two variables can have multiple solutions. It is important to carefully analyze the function and consider any restrictions on the variables to determine all possible solutions.

Why are limit problems for two variables important in science?

Limit problems for two variables are important in science because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function near a specific point. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, chemistry, and economics, where functions and their limits play a crucial role in understanding complex systems.

Back