Solving Linear Diophantine Equations: 158x-57y=7

• Thread starter mlsbbe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the student is trying to solve the diophantine equation, 158x-57y=7, but is having difficulty. They have attempted to use Euclid's algorithm and gotten stuck. They have also attempted to solve the equation for x and y by using the form 158x+57(-y)=7 and solving it for x and y'.
mlsbbe

Homework Statement

Determine all solutions in positive integers of the following diaophantine equations

158x-57y=7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve the linear diophantine equation, but to no avail:

158x-57y = 7.

I've used Euclid's algorithm to get

gcd = -1

-1 = 22*158 + 27*57

Hence
-1*7= -154*158 - 184*57

This is apparently wrong. Can somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
-1 = 22*158 + 27*57 is pretty obviously silly. How did you get that?

Dick said:
-1 = 22*158 + 27*57 is pretty obviously silly. How did you get that?

I know...I'm not too familiar with Euclid's Algorithm...that's why I'm asking for help. It looks a bit weird too... I think I might have a concept problem =(

To state again that something is obviously wrong, note that the gcd is, by definition positive, so there's something wrong in your application of the first passage of the algorithm. From the equation, the gcd can only be either 1 or 7; as 7 doesn't divide 57, it must be 1.

JSuarez said:
To state again that something is obviously wrong, note that the gcd is, by definition positive, so there's something wrong in your application of the first passage of the algorithm. From the equation, the gcd can only be either 1 or 7; as 7 doesn't divide 57, it must be 1.

Actually I'm having trouble applying Euclid's Algorithm here in this case. Most examples are done using with the form ax+by =c. In the case here, the "+" sign is now a "-". Can anybody point me in the general direction or give me a link on how to do this?

But it's the same. The Euclidian algorithm doesn't depend on the signs: the first passage is just integer divisions, which may be applied to positive and negative integers. It seems that you went wrong when calculating the remainder, that is always positive. Recall that the division theorem states that:

a = bq + r, 0 <= r < |b|

Didn'n you forget the modulus? I'll give you the first division:

gcd(158,-57) = gcd(-57,44) 158 = (-2)*(-57) + 44, 0 <= 44 < |-57|=57

JSuarez said:
But it's the same. The Euclidian algorithm doesn't depend on the signs: the first passage is just integer divisions, which may be applied to positive and negative integers. It seems that you went wrong when calculating the remainder, that is always positive. Recall that the division theorem states that:

a = bq + r, 0 <= r < |b|

Didn'n you forget the modulus? I'll give you the first division:

gcd(158,-57) = gcd(-57,44) 158 = (-2)*(-57) + 44, 0 <= 44 < |-57|=57

I've made an attempt. I don't think I seem to be getting this right...can somebody check to see if I'm getting anything wrong?

(-57)*(-2) + 44 =158

(44)*(-2) + 31 = -57

(31)*(1) + 13 = 44

(13)*(2) + 5 =31

(5)*(2) + 3 =13

(3)*(1) + 2 =5

(1)*(2) +1= 3

gcd(a,b) = 1

Apparently, the answer is

x=17 and y = 47

Since x = 17 is prime, then I am wondering if the answer is wrong, since you must multiply the gcd by 7 to get the answer.

No, x = 17 and y = 47 is indeed a solution, but these equations, if they have a solution, then they have an infinite number of them. This means that that particular solution was obtained by a different method. And your divisions are, as far as I can see, correct; if you now compute the ascending part of the euclidian algorithm, you should also obtain a solution, albeit a different one.

Here's another suggestion: if you are more confortable with equations in the form ax+by=c, then simply take your equation 158x-57y=7 and rewrite as 158x+57(-y)=7 and solve it for x and y'=-y.

FAQ: Solving Linear Diophantine Equations: 158x-57y=7

1. What is a Linear Diophantine Equation?

A Linear Diophantine Equation is an equation in the form of ax + by = c, where a, b, and c are integers and x and y are variables. The goal is to find integer solutions for x and y that satisfy the equation.

2. How do you solve a Linear Diophantine Equation?

The first step is to check if the equation has any solutions. This can be done by finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of a and b. If c is divisible by the GCD, then the equation has integer solutions. To find the solutions, you can use the extended Euclidean algorithm or the Bezout's identity method.

3. Can a Linear Diophantine Equation have infinite solutions?

Yes, a Linear Diophantine Equation can have infinite solutions. This happens when the GCD of a and b does not divide c. In this case, the equation has no solutions or an infinite number of solutions, depending on the values of a, b, and c.

4. Can negative numbers be solutions to a Linear Diophantine Equation?

Yes, negative numbers can be solutions to a Linear Diophantine Equation. In fact, if x and y are solutions, then -x and -y are also solutions. This is known as the principle of duality in Diophantine Equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Linear Diophantine Equations?

Linear Diophantine Equations are commonly used in cryptography, particularly in the RSA algorithm for secure communication. They are also used in computer graphics, specifically in finding integer solutions to linear equations that represent lines or curves.