Solving Long Jump: Find Take-Off Speed

• Thread starter PhysicsCCR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump Speed
In summary, the problem involves an athlete performing a long jump at a 29.6° angle and traveling a distance of 7.43 m. There are 4 unknown variables, including time, initial velocity in the x direction (Vix), initial velocity in the y direction (Viy), and the initial speed (Vi) that needs to be found. The kinematic equations used will depend on the interpretation of "travels 7.43m", assuming it refers to the horizontal displacement when the athlete hits the ground. The type of motion assumed for the athlete in the air is also important to consider.
PhysicsCCR

Homework Statement

An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 29.6° angle and travels 7.43 m. What was the take-off speed?

I have 4 unknown variables: t, initial velocity in the x direction (Vix), initial velocity in the y direction (Viy). and the initial speed which I'm trying to find (Vi).

Which kinematic equations do I use? I've been stuck on this problem for a day now.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what they mean by 'travels 7.43m'... They probably mean his horizontal displacement is 7.43m when he hits the ground. I'm going to assume this is the case.

Have you done similar questions before? what kind of motion can we assume this guy has while he is in the air?

Related to Solving Long Jump: Find Take-Off Speed

1. What is the long jump?

The long jump is a track and field event in which competitors attempt to jump the farthest distance from a designated take-off point.

2. How do you measure the take-off speed in the long jump?

The take-off speed in the long jump can be measured using a speed gun, which records the velocity of the athlete as they approach the take-off point.

3. Why is finding the take-off speed important in the long jump?

The take-off speed is important in the long jump because it directly affects the distance an athlete can jump. A higher take-off speed can result in a longer jump, while a slower take-off speed can limit the distance an athlete can achieve.

4. What factors can affect the take-off speed in the long jump?

Several factors can affect the take-off speed in the long jump, including the athlete's sprinting ability, technique, strength, and power. The wind speed and direction can also play a role in determining the take-off speed.

5. How can you improve your take-off speed in the long jump?

To improve your take-off speed in the long jump, you can work on your sprinting technique and strength, as well as incorporating plyometric exercises into your training. It is also important to have a proper warm-up routine and to practice consistently to develop muscle memory and improve your overall technique.