Solving Math Induction: Step-by-Step Guide

• MHB
  • Thread starter delc1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary: So, we have:$(n+1)^3 + 5(n+1) = 3k'$Now, what is $k'$? Well, we know that $k' = 3k + 5$, so $k' = 12$.Thus, we have proven that:$(n+1)^3 + 5(n+1) = 12$This is the inductive step, and you can do it for any number $n$.
delc1
Could anyone please help with this question regarding mathematical induction;

View attachment 2667

step by step procedure/ solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 81
Physics news on Phys.org
delc1 said:
Could anyone please help with this question regarding mathematical induction;

View attachment 2667

step by step procedure/ solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Let suppose that...

$\displaystyle 3| \{n\ (n^{2} + 5)\} \implies n\ (n^{2} + 5) = 3\ k\ (1)$

In thi case is...

$\displaystyle (n+1)\ (n^{2} + 2\ n + 6) = n^{3} + 5\ n + 3\ n^{2} + 3\ n + 6 = 3\ k + 3\ n^{2} + 3\ n + 6 \ (2)$

... and clearly 3 devides the (2). For n=1 $\displaystyle n\ (n^{2} + 5) = 6$ so that...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Still not quite sure what you mean?

I know how to do the base step, but the induction step is challenging

I think your difficulty is not with this problem in particular, but with applying induction in general. Therefore, ideally you should get a description of proof by induction and ask questions about that, possibly using the example you gave. For example, "I am not sure how to state the induction hypothesis in this problem. Is the following correct?"

For an outline of induction proof, see https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?posts/45490/.

delc1 said:
Still not quite sure what you mean?

I know how to do the base step, but the induction step is challenging

For the inductive step, I would let:

\(\displaystyle f(n)=n\left(n^2+5\right)\)

And then consider adding:

\(\displaystyle f(n+1)-f(n)\)

to both sides. Add this as is to the left side of your hypothesis, and add the simplified form to the right, and you should find your proof is complete.

I'd like to make it clear to you what you have to do, in order to prove this by induction.

First, we ASSUME it is true for $n$, that is we assume:

$n^2(n+5) = 3k$, for some integer $k$ (we don't have to really know which one).

Let's re-write this in a form that will be more easy to "spot" later on:

$n^3 + 5n = 3k$.

We need to USE this somehow, to prove that under these circumstances for $n+1$:

$(n+1)^2((n+1) + 5) = 3k'$ (again, all we need to do is show $k'$ exists, we do not need to find it specifically).

Let's re-write this in a form that will be more helpful to us:

$(n+1)^3 + 5(n+1) = 3k'$ <---this is what we want to prove.

I suggest multiplying out the left-hand side, and see if you "recognize" some part of it (like maybe the part we use in our assumption (induction hypothesis)). What can you say about what's "left over"?

FAQ: Solving Math Induction: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement holds for the first natural number, and then showing that if the statement holds for a particular natural number, it also holds for the next natural number.

2. How do I know when to use mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as properties of sequences and series. If you are trying to prove a statement about natural numbers and it involves a recursive definition, then mathematical induction is likely the appropriate proof technique to use.

3. What are the steps for solving a proof using mathematical induction?

The steps for solving a proof using mathematical induction are as follows:
1. Prove that the statement holds for the first natural number (usually 1).
2. Assume that the statement holds for a particular natural number, called k.
3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement also holds for the next natural number, k+1.
4. Conclude that the statement holds for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers or other types of mathematical objects.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that the statement holds for all natural numbers without actually proving it for the first natural number. Another mistake is assuming that the statement holds for the next natural number after k, instead of proving that it holds for k+1. It is also important to be careful when using algebraic manipulations, as they may not always be valid when dealing with natural numbers.