Solving Max of x^2+y^2 w/ Lagrange Multipliers

In summary, the problem involves finding the shortest and longest distance from the origin to the curve x^2 + xy + y^2=16 and giving a geometric interpretation. The hint given is to use the method of Lagrange multipliers to find the maximum of x^2+y^2. This method requires solving for y in terms of x and using the distance formula to find the derivative, set it to zero, and test for the maximum. Alternatively, one can use the distance formula D^2 = x^2 + y^2 and find the maximum by finding the derivative and setting it to zero.
thenewbosco
Find the shortest and longest distance from the origin to the curve
[tex]x^2 + xy + y^2=16[/tex] and give a geometric interpretation...the hint given is to find the maximum of [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex]

i am not sure what to do for this problem

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
thenewbosco said:
Find the shortest and longest distance from the origin to the curve
[tex]x^2 + xy + y^2=16[/tex] and give a geometric interpretation...the hint given is to find the maximum of [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex]

i am not sure what to do for this problem

thanks

Are you sure you need Lagrange Multipliers for this?

it says for the hint to use the method of lagrange multipliers to find the maximum of [tex]x^2 + y^2[/tex] but i am not sure how to do it using any method, so any help is appreciated.

thenewbosco said:
it says for the hint to use the method of lagrange multipliers to find the maximum of [tex]x^2 + y^2[/tex] but i am not sure how to do it using any method, so any help is appreciated.

Solve for y. use rate of change respect to the distance.
that is the "cal 1 method"

the path equation is constraint i think. apply Lagrange Multipliers on the distance formula

Last edited:
solve for y in what though. in the question it says [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex] this isn't even an equation though.
I am sorry i still don't get it

thenewbosco said:
solve for y in what though. in the question it says [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex] this isn't even an equation though.
I am sorry i still don't get it

you can solve for y in tern of x
and then using the distance formula D = (y^2+x^2)^0.5
sub the y equation into the distance formula
take the first derivative
fine 0s
test it
done

that is cal 1 method, it requires a lot of work

[tex]x^2+y^2[/tex] looks really similar to the distance formula
[tex]D^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

you can set [tex] D = f(x)[/tex] or [tex] D^2 = f(x)[/tex] and find the del of it, since the square doesn't where the extreme occurs, therefore the text tells you to fine the max of [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solving Max of x^2+y^2 w/ Lagrange Multipliers

What is the concept of Lagrange Multipliers?

The concept of Lagrange Multipliers is a mathematical tool used to optimize a function subject to constraints. It allows for the finding of the maximum or minimum values of a function while satisfying a set of constraints.

How do Lagrange Multipliers work?

Lagrange Multipliers work by introducing a new variable, called a multiplier, into the original function and then solving a system of equations to find the maximum or minimum point. The multiplier takes into account the constraints and helps to determine the optimal solution.

Why is Lagrange Multipliers useful in solving problems with constraints?

Lagrange Multipliers are useful in solving problems with constraints because they allow for the optimization of a function while taking into account the limitations or restrictions imposed by the constraints. This allows for a more accurate and realistic solution to problems.

What are some common applications of Lagrange Multipliers?

Lagrange Multipliers can be applied in various fields such as economics, physics, engineering, and optimization problems in mathematics. They can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function subject to constraints, such as finding the most efficient way to use resources or maximizing profits while minimizing costs.

What are the main steps in solving a problem using Lagrange Multipliers?

The main steps in solving a problem using Lagrange Multipliers include identifying the objective function, identifying the constraints, setting up the Lagrangian function, solving the system of equations, and confirming the solution is a maximum or minimum point by checking the second-order conditions.