Solving Mean Value Theorem: f(x)=sqrtX-2x [0,4]

In summary: I think you may be confusing the Mean Value Theorem with something else. The Mean Value Theorem is actually quite advanced and requires a good understanding of calculus. It is not just about slopes and derivatives.
npellegrino
1. Use the Mean Value Theorem
f(x) = sqrtX - 2x at [0,4] so a = 0, b = 4

3. So I found the derivative (which is the slope) and then set the derivative equal to the 1 because of f(b)-f(a)/b-a
f'(x) = 1/2sqrtX - 2 so 1/2sqrtX - 2 = 0, then 1/2sqrtX = 2, then my solution is x = 1/16

Just would like a heads up if this is correct, thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
npellegrino said:
1. Use the Mean Value Theorem
f(x) = sqrtX - 2x at [0,4] so a = 0, b = 4

3. So I found the derivative (which is the slope) and then set the derivative equal to the 1 because of f(b)-f(a)/b-a
f'(x) = 1/2sqrtX - 2 so 1/2sqrtX - 2 = 0, then 1/2sqrtX = 2, then my solution is x = 1/16

Just would like a heads up if this is correct, thanks in advanced.

No, this isn't correct. I think you probably made a mistake in your calculation of (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a), so check your work on this calculation.

Notice also that the extra parentheses I used (and you didn't) are necessary. The correct interpretation of what you wrote would be
[tex]f(b) - \frac{f(a)}{b} - a[/tex]

and I'm sure that's not what you intended.

well the Mean Value Theorem is
4096de01cffb76de31ec3f510cce7a14.png

so if a = 0 and b = 4 wouldn't the solution be 1 ? then you set the derivative of the function to 1 which gave me 1/16 ?

I think you might be calculating f'(a) and f'(b), instead of f(a) and f(b). Anyway (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a) [itex]\neq[/itex] 1.

subsitute the values of a and b into the formula
find the derivative of f(x)
and after youve got f'(x) and (f(b)-f(a))/b-a
find your x

the derivative i got for f(x) is 1/2sqrtX - 2 then i set that equals to (f(b)-f(a))/b-a which is 1, so I'm trying to figure 1/2sqrtX - 2 = 1 and I'm having trouble figuring the fraction

how are you getting the slope = 1, i got -6/4
f(4) = 4^1/2 - 8 = -6
f(0) = 0
(-6-0)/(4-0) does not equal to 1

well using my values i get 1/(2(x^1/2)) = -6/4+2
you can probably work your way from there

npellegrino said:
the derivative i got for f(x) is 1/2sqrtX - 2 then i set that equals to (f(b)-f(a))/b-a which is 1, so I'm trying to figure 1/2sqrtX - 2 = 1 and I'm having trouble figuring the fraction
Stop already! (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) IS NOT EQUAL TO 1 !

Put in the actual numbers for a and b and do the calculation!

You are not taking the derivatives of f(b) and f(a)... the mean value theorem states that if f is continuous on the closed intervals [a,b] which in this case is [0,4] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b,) then there exists a number c in (a,b) such that
4096de01cffb76de31ec3f510cce7a14.png

Mark44 said:
Stop already! (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) IS NOT EQUAL TO 1 !

Put in the actual numbers for a and b and do the calculation!

maybe my professor has taught me wrong?

just look at the formula and substitute a and b... into the equation

Alright I'm having a brainfart i see what you are saying.

f(4) = sqrt4 - 8 = -6
f(0) = sqrt0 - 2(0) = 0

Alright i think i solved it... finally thanks for the help i really do appreciate it from you 2 :)f(4) = -6
f(0) = 0
which gives me -6/4

the derivative 1/2sqrtX -2 = -6/4 which will give me 1/2sqrtx = 1/2 then x = 1

npellegrino said:
maybe my professor has taught me wrong?
I'm pretty sure he didn't teach you that (2 - 8)/(4 - 0) = 1.

Mark44 said:
I'm pretty sure he didn't teach you that (2 - 8)/(4 - 0) = 1.

not so sure about that, sometimes the things they teach you are so obstract that they themselves get confused :confused:

No question that an instructor can occasionally get confused with some abstract calculation, but (2 - 8)/(4 - 0) in no way can be considered as abstract.

indeed it is not abstract, the mean value theorem is very elementary since its dealing with slopes and derivatives so its easy to understand

FAQ: Solving Mean Value Theorem: f(x)=sqrtX-2x [0,4]

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

2. How do you solve the Mean Value Theorem for a given function?

To solve the Mean Value Theorem for a given function, you must first check if the function meets the requirements of continuity and differentiability on the given interval. Then, you can use the formula f'(c) = [f(b) - f(a)] / (b - a) where c is the point where the slope of the tangent line equals the slope of the secant line, and a and b are the endpoints of the interval.

3. Can you provide an example of solving the Mean Value Theorem?

For the function f(x) = √x - 2x on the interval [0,4], we can first check that the function is continuous and differentiable on the interval. Then, we can use the formula f'(c) = [f(b) - f(a)] / (b - a). Plugging in the values, we get f'(c) = [(√4 - 2(4)) - (√0 - 2(0))] / (4 - 0) = (-2 - 0) / 4 = -1/2. This means that there exists a point c in the interval [0,4] where the slope of the tangent line is equal to -1/2.

4. What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it allows us to understand the relationships between the slope of a function and the values of the function on a given interval. It also has many practical applications, such as in optimization problems and in estimating values of functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Mean Value Theorem. The theorem only guarantees the existence of a point c where the slope of the tangent line equals the slope of the secant line, but it does not provide a method for finding the exact value of c. Additionally, the function must meet the requirements of continuity and differentiability on the given interval for the theorem to be applicable.