Solving Minimization Problem: Find Smallest Beam Length

In summary, the smallest beam that could be placed against the wall, sit on top of the 8 foot wall, and touch the ground on the other side of the wall is a beam that is 8 feet long and has a height of 27 feet.

Homework Statement

An 8 foot tall wall is 27 feet from a building. What is the smallest sized beam that could be placed against the wall, sit on top of the 8 foot wall, and touch the ground on the other side of the wall?

Homework Equations

I want to minimize the beam length, so will differentiate and set to zero, then find the minimum value.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to derive the relevant equation and what beam length would be a function of. Can you help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
3.141592654 said:
I want to minimize the beam length, so will differentiate and set to zero, then find the minimum value.
Differentiate what? Before doing any of this, draw a sketch of the wall and the building, and show the beam. Since you don't know the length of the beam, call its length, oh, maybe, L. Put in the known dimensions and see if you can figure out the unknown dimensions. You need to do all this before you get any kind of function that you can differentiate.

I am at a loss for how to find the unknown dimensions.

Thinking in terms of a picture, the "beam" crosses the Y-axis at (0,Y), runs through the point (27,8), and crosses the X-axis at (X,0). This forms a rectangle with points (0,0) and (27,8), and two like triangles: one sitting on top of the rectangle with coordinates (0,Y), (0,Y-8), and (27,8). The second triangle is adjacent to the rectangle with coordinates (27,8), (27,0), and (X-27, 0). If the interior angles of these triangles are a=90 degrees, b, and c, then b+c=90 degrees. Also, tan b=27/(Y-8)=(X-27)/8 and tan c=(Y-8)/27=8/(X-27).

I probably should be able to find the unknown dimensions with this information but I'm at a loss.

OK, that's a good start. It looks like you have the short wall running up the y-axis. If so, the beam touches the short wall at (0, 8), and touches the building wall at (27, y). Does that help?

So the slope is (8-y)/27 right? I'm not sure what the next step is though, what am I missing?

I don't think the slope of the beam enters into the problem. It's probably easier to put the low end of the beam at the origin, and the low wall x units to the right, and the wall of the building 27 units more to the right. You know the height of the low wall, and you can assume that the beam touches the building at a point y units up.

From this information, and the fact that you're dealing with two similar right triangles, you should be able to get a relationship (an equation) between x and y.

Also, since L (the length of the beam) is the hypotenuse of a right triangle, can you get an equation that represents this length? It will involve both x and y.

Now, you should have L as a function of x and y, and with the first equation, you should be able to solve for y in terms of x. From this, you can write L as a function of x alone.

I know the length of the large triangle, L=sqrt[(X+27)^2+(Y)^2]. If I denote the hypotenuse of the smaller triangle by l, then (l)^2=(X)^2+64, and (L)^2=(X+27)^2+(Y)^2. However, this seems like two equations and four unknowns. If this is solvable, then I don't know how to do it.

3.141592654 said:
I know the length of the large triangle, L=sqrt[(X+27)^2+(Y)^2].
OK, that's one of them. Another equation that can help you rewrite L(x, y) as a function of only one variable involves the two similar right triangles. For the smaller triangle, the altitude is 8, and the base is x. For the other, the altitude is y and the base is x + 27. Can you get an equation from this information, and solve it for y? Once you do that you can replace y in your L(x, y) function.
3.141592654 said:
If I denote the hypotenuse of the smaller triangle by l, then (l)^2=(X)^2+64, and (L)^2=(X+27)^2+(Y)^2. However, this seems like two equations and four unknowns. If this is solvable, then I don't know how to do it.

Related to Solving Minimization Problem: Find Smallest Beam Length

What is the purpose of solving a minimization problem in finding the smallest beam length?

The purpose of solving a minimization problem is to find the smallest possible value of a given function or equation. In the context of finding the smallest beam length, this means determining the minimum length that the beam can be without compromising its structural integrity.

What factors should be considered when trying to find the smallest beam length?

There are several factors that should be considered when trying to find the smallest beam length, including the desired load capacity of the beam, the materials being used, the intended use of the beam, and any external forces or conditions that may affect the beam's stability.

What methods can be used to solve a minimization problem for finding the smallest beam length?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a minimization problem, including analytical methods such as calculus, numerical methods such as linear programming, and heuristic methods such as trial and error. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific problem and its constraints.

Is it always possible to find the absolute smallest beam length?

No, it is not always possible to find the absolute smallest beam length. The smallest possible length will depend on a variety of factors and constraints, and in some cases, it may not be possible to meet all of these constraints while also achieving the absolute minimum length.

Why is finding the smallest beam length important in structural engineering?

Finding the smallest beam length is important in structural engineering because it allows for the most efficient use of materials and resources. A shorter beam length can also reduce the overall weight and cost of a structure, while still maintaining its strength and stability. Additionally, finding the smallest beam length can lead to more sustainable and environmentally-friendly designs.