Solving Mod 13 Ripple Counter with D Flip Flop

In summary, the problem at hand involves building a ripple counter, specifically an up counter with mod 13 using D flip flops. The state diagram was first constructed, going from 0000 to 1101 and back to 0000. The textbook suggests using the complement of the output from the D flip flop, but this method does not allow for the counter to go from 1101 to 0000. Other attempts were made using k-map and formulas, but none were successful. The issue remains unresolved, and the individual is seeking assistance in constructing the flip flops correctly. This is not a homework problem, but a review question for an upcoming exam.
d_b

Homework Statement

I'm working on this problem but everytime I tried to walk through my answer it doesn't seem right.

I wanted to built a ripple counter, up counter with mod 13 using D flip flop.

Homework Equations

present state ABCD - 0000-->1101
next state ABCD - 0001-->0000

Q(t+1) = Dq

The Attempt at a Solution

I first built the state diagram going from 0000 to 1101 then back to 0000.

Now the textbook said to use take the compliments of the output from the D flip flop. So what I did I took the compliment of the output(next state) and the unused state (14 and 15 as don't care) and by k-map i constructed a formula for the 4 D-FF. However as soon as I hit 13(1101) it will not go back to 0000.

The other approach is: I took the output from the next state and the unsued state(1110 and 1111 as don't care states), using k-map again i constructed a formula for the sum of product of the 4 D-FF. But agian it will not go from 1101 to 0000.

Then I redo it by using complements output of the next state with k-map to built the formula for the FFs without the unused state and it still doesn't work.

I redo it agian by using output of the next state with k-map to built the formula for the FFs without the unused state and still doesn't work.

I know that I'm doing something wrong during the process, however I'm not sure howelse to built this FFs.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh...this is not a homework either, its my exam review questions...

It seems like you have made several attempts to solve this problem and have tried different approaches, but have not been successful. Have you considered seeking help from a classmate, professor, or tutor? They may be able to provide valuable insights and help you identify where you may be going wrong in your problem-solving process. Additionally, have you checked your calculations and diagrams to ensure they are correct? It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and double check each step to ensure accuracy. Keep in mind that solving problems in science often requires trial and error, so don't get discouraged and keep trying different approaches until you find the correct solution.

Related to Solving Mod 13 Ripple Counter with D Flip Flop

1. What is a Mod 13 ripple counter?

A Mod 13 ripple counter is a type of electronic circuit that counts in binary and has 13 distinct states. It is made up of multiple D flip flops that are connected in a series, with the output of one flip flop feeding into the input of the next flip flop.

2. How does a D flip flop work?

A D flip flop is a digital circuit that stores one bit of data. It has two inputs, D (data) and CLK (clock), and one output, Q. The CLK input controls when the data is stored in the flip flop. When the CLK input is high, the data on the D input is transferred to the Q output. When the CLK input is low, the data on the Q output remains unchanged.

3. What is the purpose of a ripple counter?

A ripple counter is used to count the number of events or pulses that occur in a system. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as clocks, timers, and frequency dividers.

4. How is a Mod 13 ripple counter with D flip flops solved?

To solve a Mod 13 ripple counter with D flip flops, you will need to determine the number of flip flops needed (in this case, 4) and create a circuit diagram. Each flip flop will represent one bit of the binary number. The first flip flop will have the LSB (least significant bit), and the last flip flop will have the MSB (most significant bit). The circuit will then need to be tested and adjusted until it accurately counts up to 13 and then resets back to 0.

5. What are the advantages of using a Mod 13 ripple counter?

One advantage of using a Mod 13 ripple counter is that it has a smaller number of flip flops compared to other types of counters, making it more compact and cost-effective. It also has a shorter propagation delay, meaning it can count faster. Additionally, it is modular, meaning that it can be easily expanded to count higher values by adding more flip flops.