Solving Momentum & Energy Homework Problem

In summary: Pretty sure question did not give directions, it was just assumed one was going towards each other, then after collision away from each other.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

Okay there is 2 boxes. One mass has a spring attached to it. They undergo a collision. The spring then has a constant of 600N/m.
M 1 = 1kg Vi1 = 4m/s Vf1 = 3m/s
M 2 = 2.10kg Vi2 = 2.50m/s
Determine Vf of M 2 and x value on impact.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just wondering if my method is correct for solving these questions.

First I would use the formula:
m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2 to find the final velocity of m2.

Determining the X value is where I struggle. I know it's energy conservation but I'm not sure how to set it up.

I did Ee = Ekf + Ekf

I used my 2 final velocities in the equation due to the fact the question asked what was the X value impact.

Is this the correct way to solve this problem??

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly what does the x value represent?

kuruman said:
Exactly what does the x value represent?
The displacement.. How much spring stretches or compresses from equilibrium.

Since it's a collision, it must be compression and I would assume maximum compression. What is the relative velocity of the two masses at maximum compression?

kuruman said:
Since it's a collision, it must be compression and I would assume maximum compression. What is the relative velocity of the two masses at maximum compression?
I calculated that vf2 is 2.98 m/s.

Veronica_Oles said:
I calculated that vf2 is 2.98 m/s.
That's the final velocity of mass 2. I asked you for the relative velocity between the two masses when the spring is at maximum compression. Can you imagine what it could be?

kuruman said:
That's the final velocity of mass 2. I asked you for the relative velocity between the two masses when the spring is at maximum compression. Can you imagine what it could be?
Relative velocity: Vf1-Vf2 = 3.0-2.98 = 0.02??

Veronica_Oles said:
Vi1 = 4m/s Vf1 = 3m/s
Same direction or opposite directions?

Veronica_Oles said:
Relative velocity: Vf1-Vf2 = 3.0-2.98 = 0.02??
Just think. Maximum compression means that the spring is not being compressed any more instantaneously. At that instant (never mind what happens later): (1) can the two masses be moving relative to each other? (2) What is their total kinetic energy? (3) What is the potential energy stored in the spring?

haruspex said:
Same direction or opposite directions?
Pretty sure question did not give directions, it was just assumed one was going towards each other, then after collision away from each other.

Related to Solving Momentum & Energy Homework Problem

1. What is the definition of momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How do I solve a momentum problem with multiple objects?

When solving a momentum problem with multiple objects, it is important to calculate the momentum of each object separately and then add them together to find the total momentum of the system.

3. What is the conservation of momentum and how does it apply to problem solving?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle can be applied to problem solving by using it as a guide to determine the unknown variables in a problem.

4. How do I incorporate energy into a momentum problem?

Energy can be incorporated into a momentum problem by using the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total energy before a collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. This can help in solving for unknown variables in a problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving momentum and energy problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving momentum and energy problems include not correctly identifying the system, not considering all forces and energies involved, and not properly applying the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and to double check all calculations to avoid these errors.