Solving Momentum Questions: Find Speed of Toy Car After Pellet Impact

• Thread starter Fresko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a pellet fired from a gun and striking a toy car with modelling clay attached. The car travels a distance of 0.069M before coming to a rest at 1.3s. Using kinematic equations, the speed of the car immediately after being struck by the pellet is calculated to be 1.06m/s. An assumption is required in order to apply the equation.
Fresko

Homework Statement

A pellet is fired from a gun. the Pellet is fired horizontally into the a toy car, which has modelling clay attached to it. The pellet remains in the clay as the car moves.

The car travels a distance of 0.069M before coming to a rest at 1.3s

show that the speed of the car immediately after being struck by the pellet was about 1 m/s

Homework Equations

No idea, but it also asks in part 2, the assumption you made in order to apply the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt was using the kinematic equations but I reached a value of 0.1 m/s which is no where near 1m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
using the kinematic equations is the correct approach. I also get your answer. Could be a typo in the book answer.

PhanthomJay said:
using the kinematic equations is the correct approach. I also get your answer. Could be a typo in the book answer.

It cannot be, the value is way off.

PhanthomJay said:

Never mind, you are indeed correct and I apologise, I just realized I read the value for distance differently, the kinematic equations gave a value of 1.06m/s which is good enough for me.

However now I have to state an assumption in order to apply the equation I used.

The usual assumptions about under what conditions momentum is considered, you might think of others.

Related to Solving Momentum Questions: Find Speed of Toy Car After Pellet Impact

What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: momentum = mass (kg) x velocity (m/s).

How does the momentum of an object change after an impact?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after an impact. However, the individual momenta of the objects involved in the impact may change.

How can the speed of a toy car be determined after a pellet impact?

To determine the speed of a toy car after a pellet impact, we need to know the mass and velocity of the car and the mass and velocity of the pellet before the impact. Using the law of conservation of momentum, we can calculate the velocity of the car after the impact.

Why is it important to understand momentum in physics?

Momentum is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It is also a fundamental principle in many areas of science, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

How can momentum be applied in real-life situations?

Momentum can be applied in many real-life situations, such as car crashes, collisions in sports, and rocket launches. It is also used in engineering to design and improve structures and machines, and in medicine to understand the impact of forces on the human body.