Solving Mystery: Bright Star Disappearing in Vrboska, Croatia

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, two individuals in different locations have reported seeing a bright object in the sky that appeared to fade and disappear after a few seconds. One person initially thought it was an Iridium flare, but there was no visible change in position. The object was approximately located between two Cassiopeia stars and was seen at around 22:30 local time on 20 July. Another person also saw a similar object around midnight in Shreveport, Louisiana, with a slightly different position. The object was only visible for about a second before fading.
Borek
Mentor
Here is the story: I was on the camping in Vrboska, on the Hvar island (Croatia). One night I looked up and there was something looking like a bright (but not unusually bright) star. What caught my attention was that after just a few seconds it started to fade and soon disappeared. At first I thought it was an Iridium flare (both brightness and the speed at which brightness changed was similar to other flares I have seen), trick is - there was no visible change in position. The lihgt was between branches of some pine tree, so I couldn't see surrounding stars well, could be there was some motion that I missed, however, Iridium satellites move relatively fast, this object changed the brightness without leaving quite small hole through which I saw this particular segment of the sky.

Time: 20 July, 22:30 local time (give or take 10 minutes).
My position: N 43º10'55" E16º41'13"
Object position: RA 5h10m Dec 76º

Object position is rather approximate - I remember it was more or less at the point determined by two perpendicular lines - one going through two Cassiopeia stars - Shedir and γCas, the other going through Polaris.

Any ideas what that could be?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
No idea, but I remember seeing something very similar 3-4 weeks ago myself. I'd say it's position was slightly south of Arcturus. It was around Midnight or so I think, give or take about 30 min. I'm here in Shreveport Louisiana. I only caught the tail end and had at most about a second as it was already fading when I turned around and saw it.

FAQ: Solving Mystery: Bright Star Disappearing in Vrboska, Croatia

1. What is the mystery of the disappearing bright star in Vrboska, Croatia?

The mystery involves a bright star that was observed disappearing and reappearing multiple times in the sky above the town of Vrboska, Croatia. This event has puzzled astronomers and local residents, as there is no known explanation for the phenomenon.

2. When did the bright star start disappearing in Vrboska, Croatia?

The bright star was first observed disappearing in Vrboska, Croatia in the early hours of July 3rd, 2021. It has since been seen disappearing and reappearing on multiple occasions, with no specific pattern or schedule.

3. What are the possible explanations for the disappearing bright star?

There are several theories as to why the bright star is disappearing in Vrboska, Croatia. Some experts believe it could be caused by natural phenomena such as atmospheric disturbances or a rare astronomical event. Others suggest it could be a man-made object or even a hoax.

4. Has any scientific research been done on the disappearing bright star in Vrboska, Croatia?

Yes, scientists and astronomers from around the world have been studying the phenomenon since it was first reported. They have used various instruments and techniques to observe and analyze the star's behavior, but so far, no conclusive evidence has been found.

5. Will we ever know the true cause of the disappearing bright star in Vrboska, Croatia?

It is difficult to say for sure if we will ever know the exact cause of the disappearing bright star in Vrboska, Croatia. Scientists continue to investigate and gather data, and it is possible that a breakthrough or new technology could lead to a better understanding of the phenomenon. However, it is also possible that the mystery may remain unsolved for years to come.