Solving n_{n0} Using Charge Neutrality & Mass Action Law

In summary, the conversation discusses how to arrive at the expression for the n-type charge carrier concentration at thermal equilibrium by using the charge neutrality condition and the mass action law. The solution involves assuming high temperatures and manipulating the equations to solve for n.
mzh
Dear PF users
Would be great if somebody could point me out how to arrive at [itex]n_{n0} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ (N_D - N_A) + \sqrt{ (N_D - N_A)^2 + 4n_i^2} \right][/itex] (n-type charge carrier concentration at thermal equilibrium) by using the expression for the charge neutrality [itex]n+N_A = p+N_D[/itex] and the mass action law [itex]np=n_i^2[/itex].

I understand I should assume that [itex]N_D > N_A[/itex], but I can't work it out.

Any comments are very welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
mzh said:
Dear PF users
Would be great if somebody could point me out how to arrive at [itex]n_{n0} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ (N_D - N_A) + \sqrt{ (N_D - N_A)^2 + 4n_i^2} \right][/itex] (n-type charge carrier concentration at thermal equilibrium) by using the expression for the charge neutrality [itex]n+N_A = p+N_D[/itex] and the mass action law [itex]np=n_i^2[/itex].

I think I found the solution to this. The important point to note is that we assume relatively high temperatures. Given the relationship for [itex]N_D^+ = \frac{N_D}{1+2\exp\left[\frac{E_F - E_D}{kT}\right]}[/itex], we can assume that [itex]E_F - E_D[/itex] is much lower than zero. Then, when dividing by [itex]kT = 0.025 \mbox{eV}[/itex] at room temperature, the exponential term becomes approximately zero and so [itex]N_D^+ = N_D[/itex]. Then, [itex]N_D[/itex] can be inserted into the charge neutrality condition and, after expressing [itex]p=\frac{n_i^2}{n}[/itex], the resulting quadratic equation can be solved for [itex]n[/itex]. Great.

Related to Solving n_{n0} Using Charge Neutrality & Mass Action Law

1. What is charge neutrality in the context of solving n_{n0}?

Charge neutrality refers to the principle that in a system, the total positive charge must be equal to the total negative charge. In the context of solving n_{n0}, this means that the sum of the positively charged particles (protons) and the negatively charged particles (electrons) must be equal to zero.

2. How does the mass action law play a role in solving n_{n0}?

The mass action law is a principle in chemistry that states the rate of a chemical reaction is proportional to the concentrations of the reactants. In the context of solving n_{n0}, this means that the rate of formation of particles (either protons or electrons) is dependent on their concentrations.

3. What is the equation used to solve for n_{n0} using charge neutrality & mass action law?

The equation used is n_{n0} = n_{p0} * e^(-(E_G + E_F)/kT), where n_{n0} is the concentration of neutral particles, n_{p0} is the concentration of protons, E_G is the band gap energy, E_F is the Fermi level, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

4. How can the charge neutrality & mass action law be applied in real-world situations?

The charge neutrality & mass action law can be applied in various situations, such as in the study of semiconductors, where the concentration of electrons and holes (positively charged vacancies) is important in determining the conductivity of the material. It can also be applied in chemical reactions, where the concentrations of reactants can affect the rate of the reaction.

5. What are the assumptions made when using charge neutrality & mass action law to solve for n_{n0}?

The assumptions made are that the system is at thermal equilibrium, there are no external factors (such as electric fields) affecting the concentrations, and the particles are non-interacting. Additionally, the mass action law assumes that the reaction is reversible and the rate of the reverse reaction is negligible.