Solving Non-Linear ODE: Tips and Guidance from PF Community

In summary, the conversation discusses how to reduce a given ODE to find a solution. The approach of using substitution and manipulating the equation is suggested, along with the possibility of obtaining quadratic solutions. The idea of using power series is also mentioned as a possible method for solving the ODE.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Can any of you help me reduce this ODE to find a solution?

$$y y''+2y'^2+xy'+\frac{1}{2}y = 0 \implies \\ (y y')'+y'^2+xy'+\frac{1}{2}y = 0 \implies\\ (yy')'+(xy)'+y'^2-\frac{1}{2}y=0$$

but here I am stopped. Am I even going the correct route? I know I can re-write this equation as terms primed, because a quadratic solves this ODE. Any help is awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are x and y both functions of t, so (xy)' = xy' + x'y? Or is y a function of x, so (xy)' = xy' +y ?

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Can any of you help me reduce this ODE to find a solution?

$$y y''+2y'^2+xy'+\frac{1}{2}y = 0 \implies \\ (y y')'+y'^2+xy'+\frac{1}{2}y = 0 \implies\\ (yy')'+(xy)'+y'^2-\frac{1}{2}y=0$$

but here I am stopped. Am I even going the correct route? I know I can re-write this equation as terms primed, because a quadratic solves this ODE. Any help is awesome!

I can see that if [itex]y'' = 2a[/itex] then every term of the ODE is a multiple of [itex]x^2[/itex], so certainly [itex]y = ax^2[/itex] is a solution (for two particular values of [itex]a[/itex]).

You can of course just substitute [itex]y = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] and see what constraints there are on [itex](a,b,c)[/itex].

Sorry, ##y## is the dependent variable and ##x## is the independent variable.

And yes, I can verify that a quadratic solves the ODE, but I'm trying to see how to reduce this into an equation of primes. I'm curious and know it can be done, I just can't see how. Any ideas?

Substituting [itex]v = 2y' + x[/itex] yields [itex]\frac12 yv' + y'v = 0[/itex]. Thus either [itex]y = 0[/itex] or [itex]v = 0[/itex] or [tex]\frac12 \frac{d(\ln v)}{dx} + \frac{d(\ln y)}{dx} = 0.[/tex]

(EDIT: Actually just multiplying [itex]\frac12 yv' + y'v = 0[/itex] by [itex]2y[/itex] suffices.)

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and member 428835
This was awesome, pasmith! How would you go about solving this one ##y y''+2y'^2+xy'+Ay = 0## if ##A## could be any non-zero real number you wanted it to be?

joshmccraney said:
This was awesome, pasmith! How would you go about solving this one ##y y''+2y'^2+xy'+Ay = 0## if ##A## could be any non-zero real number you wanted it to be?

You may still be able to obtain quadratic solutions (if [itex]y[/itex] is a quadratic then so is [itex]yy'' + 2y'^2 + xy' + Ay[/itex]) but setting [itex]v = 2y' + x[/itex] yields [tex]
\frac{d}{dx}(y^2 v) = (1 - 2A)y^2[/tex] which only helps if [itex]A = \frac12[/itex].

Last edited:
Yea, it seems ##A=1/2## is the only way this works. It's very clever, though!

Just out of curiosity is it all possible to solve this via power series? Or does the y*y" make it a no go?

MidgetDwarf said:
Just out of curiosity is it all possible to solve this via power series? Or does the y*y" make it a no go?

Try it. If [itex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/itex] then [itex]yy''[/itex] term gives you [tex]a_0a_{n+2}(n+2)(n+1) + a_1a_{n+1}(n+1)n + \dots + a_{k}a_{n+2-k}(n+ 2 - k)(n + 1 - k) + \dots + 2a_na_2[/tex] as the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] and [itex]y'^2[/itex] gives you [tex]
(n+1)a_1a_{n+1} + \dots + (k+1)(n - k + 1)a_{k+1}a_{n - k + 1} + \dots + (n+1)a_1a_{n+1}[/tex] so given [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]a_1[/itex] you can obtain [itex]a_2[/itex], then [itex]a_3[/itex], and so on.

pasmith said:
Try it. If [itex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/itex] then [itex]yy''[/itex] term gives you [tex]a_0a_{n+2}(n+2)(n+1) + a_1a_{n+1}(n+1)n + \dots + a_{k}a_{n+2-k}(n+ 2 - k)(n + 1 - k) + \dots + 2a_na_2[/tex] as the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] and [itex]y'^2[/itex] gives you [tex]
(n+1)a_1a_{n+1} + \dots + (k+1)(n - k + 1)a_{k+1}a_{n - k + 1} + \dots + (n+1)a_1a_{n+1}[/tex] so given [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]a_1[/itex] you can obtain [itex]a_2[/itex], then [itex]a_3[/itex], and so on.

Thanks! Will try it out on hand and later run it trough mathematica.

Related to Solving Non-Linear ODE: Tips and Guidance from PF Community

1. What is a non-linear ODE?

A non-linear ODE is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to powers other than 1. This leads to a non-linear relationship between the variables and makes the equation more complex to solve.

2. How do I solve a non-linear ODE?

Solving a non-linear ODE involves using various mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, and series expansion. It also requires knowledge of the specific type of non-linear ODE and its properties.

3. What are some common tips for solving non-linear ODEs?

Some tips for solving non-linear ODEs include finding a suitable substitution to simplify the equation, using the method of undetermined coefficients, and breaking down the equation into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to carefully analyze the equation and understand its properties before attempting to solve it.

4. Can software be used to solve non-linear ODEs?

Yes, there are various software programs, such as MATLAB and Mathematica, that have built-in functions for solving non-linear ODEs. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving these equations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving non-linear ODEs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving non-linear ODEs include not considering all possible solutions, making incorrect substitutions, and not checking the final answer for accuracy. It is also important to double check the algebraic manipulations and pay attention to any limiting behaviors of the equation.