Solving Odd Digit Divisibility by Five using Permutations

The number of 4 digit numbers made from only odd digits which are divisible by 5 is 125.In summary, the number of four-digit numbers formed of only odd digits that are divisible by five is 125, using the fundamental counting principle.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

How many four-digit numbers formed of only odd digits are divisible by five?

Homework Equations

Permutations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I think should be done :

Ans : 4P3 * 1
= 24

Is that right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't say how you got that number so I don't see any way to comment except to say that 4P3= 4 is clearly NOT the correct answer. You don't say why you think that is true. How did you get that?

There are a total of 4 digits in the number and 5 odd digits. How many choices are there for the first digit? The second ? The third? The fourth?

hms.tech said:
Ans : 4P3 * 1
= 24

why? :confused:

HallsofIvy said:
You don't say how you got that number so I don't see any way to comment except to say that 4P3= 4 is clearly NOT the correct answer. You don't say why you think that is true. How did you get that?

There are a total of 4 digits in the number and 5 odd digits. How many choices are there for the first digit? The second ? The third? The fourth?

here is how I did it :

The last digit is reserved for "5" since we want it to be divisible by "5"

Then, the choices for the first digit are : 4
2nd digit : 3
3rd digit : 2
Ergo, 4P3 * 1 = 4P3 = 24

I am honestly surprised why this method is incorrect .

ah, you're assuming they all have to be different :redface:

they don't :smile:

(btw, I'm not familiar with this 4P3 notation, but it doesn't look right …

24 = 4!, so where does 3 come into it? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:
ah, you're assuming they all have to be different :redface:

they don't :smile:

(btw, I'm not familiar with this 4P3 notation, but it doesn't look right …

24 = 4!, so where does 3 come into it? :confused:)

Hmmm...I think you are right, I must not assume this.

Honestly, I have no experience how to calculate the permutations if digits can be repeated.

I'll try anyway :

There are 5 choices for each of the first three digits and one choice for the last digit.
5*5*5*1 = 125

hms.tech said:

Honestly, I have no experience how to calculate the permutations if digits can be repeated.

I'll try anyway :

There are 5 choices for each of the first three digits and one choice for the last digit.
5*5*5*1 = 125

Right!

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

hms.tech said:

If the digits can be repeated, this is NOT a permutations problem. It is simply a application of the "fundamental counting principle": if A can be done in m ways and B can be done, independently, in n ways the A and B can be done in mn ways.
There are 5 ways to choose the first digit, 5 ways to choose the second digit, 5 ways to choose the third digit, and only one way to choose the last digit which u must be 5.
5(5)(5)(1)=

I'll try anyway :

5*5*5*1 = 125

Exactly right.

Related to Solving Odd Digit Divisibility by Five using Permutations

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers and other numbers.

2. What are some common topics in number theory?

Some common topics in number theory include prime numbers, divisibility, congruence, and Diophantine equations.

3. How is number theory used in other fields of science?

Number theory has applications in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. It is used to develop algorithms and secure communication systems, among other things.

4. What are some famous problems in number theory?

Some famous problems in number theory include the Goldbach conjecture, the Twin Prime conjecture, and the Riemann Hypothesis.

5. Is number theory still an active area of research?

Yes, number theory is a very active area of research with many open problems and ongoing studies. It has been a subject of interest for mathematicians for centuries and continues to be an important field of study.