Solving ODE with Data Points: Finding Equation and Integrating Method

• Thread starter RagincajunLA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, The conversation discusses finding an equation to fit a given set of data points, with a differential equation of h'= ah^b - ch^d with b < 0. The speaker is struggling to integrate the equation due to unknown constants, but suggests using methods for finding a derivative at a point and solving a non-linear fitting problem. They also mention the possibility of using wolframalpha.com for integration.
RagincajunLA
hey guys, i was given some data points and i had to find an equation to fit the model. now my differential equation is h'= ah^b - ch^d with b < 0. I can't find any method for integrating because i don't know the constants in the equation. but i have the data points so that must help somehow. i also know the maximum and minimum of the data points. someone please help me figure out how to integrate this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your task is to find constants a, b, c, and d, such that h(t) satisfying dh/dt = ah^b - ch^d fits the given points (hi, ti), then finding general solution to h(t) might be a backwards way of doing things.

There exist methods for finding a derivative of a function at a point given some discrete data set. These are approximate, but they essentially assume that your data is a high-order polynomial, and the solution to your ODE can be at least approximated with one.

So, use your set of hi and ti to find estimates for h'i. Now you have a standard non-linear fitting problem f(hi,a,b,c,d) = h'i. There are a number of ready algorithms and programs that can take care of both steps.

Otherwise if you are daring you can try wolframalpha.com [integrate 1/(a*x^b - c*x^d)]. Spoiler: you'll have to like the hypergeometric function

Related to Solving ODE with Data Points: Finding Equation and Integrating Method

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives in one or more independent variables.

What types of problems can be solved using ODEs?

ODEs are used to model many real-world processes, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They can also be used in engineering to analyze systems and predict their behavior.

What methods are used to solve ODEs?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and using power series expansions. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, are also commonly used.

What is the importance of solving ODEs?

ODEs are important in many scientific and engineering fields as they allow us to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics.

What resources are available for help with ODEs?

There are many resources available for learning and solving ODEs, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and software packages. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer courses specifically focused on ODEs and their applications.