Solving ODEs: y=xp+f(p): Show General Solution & Second Solution

• Thread starter saul goodman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes
In summary: So in summary, when considering differential equations of the form y=xp+f(p), the general solution is y=cx+f(c) and there is also a second solution obeying the differential equation d(f(p))/dp + x = 0, which can be found by solving for dy/dx in the equation x+f`(dy/dx)=0.
saul goodman
I've been asked to consider differential equations of the form y=xp+f(p), where p=dy/dx, and to show that the general solution is y=cx+f(c).

Substituting in p, the original equation is y=x(dy/dx)+f(dy/dx), and by differentiating I get:

dy/dx=x(d2y/dx2) + dy/dx + d2y/fx2 * f`(dy/dx).

Substracting dy/dx from both sides:

0 = x(d2y/dx2) + d2y/fx2 * f`(dy/dx).

Factorising d2y/dx2:

0=d2y/dx2(x+f`(dy/dx))

Thus in one case d2y/dx2=0 => dy/dx=c => p=c. Substituting into the original equation we get y=cx+f(c) so that part is done.

It then asks me to further show that there is a second solution obeying the differentiatial equation:

d(f(p))/dp + x = 0

Now I suspected you could solve this by looking at the second case above where x+f`(dy/dx)=0 but I'm not sure how. I noticed you get this new differential equation by simply differentiating the original equation by p. However surely I can't ignore the case of x+f`(dy/dx)=0, it must be involved somehow?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
you can provide! Yes, you are correct that the second case needs to be taken into account when solving for the second solution. To do this, you need to solve the equation x+f`(dy/dx)=0 for dy/dx, which will give you the value of p, and then you can plug this into the original equation to get y=cx+f(c).

FAQ: Solving ODEs: y=xp+f(p): Show General Solution & Second Solution

What is an ODE?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their derivatives.

How do I solve an ODE?

There are various methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. The best method to use depends on the specific equation and its initial conditions.

What is the general solution of an ODE?

The general solution of an ODE is the set of all possible solutions that satisfy the equation. It usually includes an arbitrary constant or constants that can take on different values to represent different solutions.

What is the second solution of an ODE?

The second solution of an ODE is a second distinct solution that satisfies the equation and is independent of the first solution. It can be used to form a general solution for certain types of ODEs.

How do I find the general solution and second solution of y=xp+f(p)?

The general solution of this type of ODE can be found by using the method of integrating factors. The second solution can then be obtained by applying a certain transformation to the first solution. It is important to remember to check the solutions for validity by plugging them back into the original equation.

Back