Solving Ohm's Law & Power Homework: Gasoline Consumption in 1 Hour

In summary, to determine the amount of gasoline consumed in one hour to power two car headlights that require 10 A at 12 V, you must first convert the power to Joules (432000 J) and multiply it by 0.25 to account for the 25% efficiency of the conversion from gasoline to electrical energy. This results in an energy requirement of 108000 J. Then, using the given energy released by 1 L of gasoline (3X10^7 J), you can set up a ratio to find that the amount of gasoline consumed in one hour is 0.0036 L.
lha08

Homework Statement

The two headlights of a car require a total of 10 A supplied at 12 V. Given that the combustion of 1 L of gasoline releases 3X 10^7 J and that the conversion to electrical power has an efficiency of 25%, how much gasoline is consumed in one hour for this purpose alone?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I'm not sure if what I did is right since I don't have the answers..but here I go:
-I first found the power by multiplying I X V...10 A X 12 V =120 W
-then I multiplied 120 W by 3600 seconds (an hour) to turn the answer into Joules...in this case 432000 Joules.
-Then I multiplied this by 0.25 to get 108 000 Joules.
-After this, I set a ratio with 1 L and 3X10^7 Joules with 108000 Joules and the unknown amount of gas. And I got 0.0036 L...
Is how I did it correct (i'm not really sure about the 25% part and the ratio part at the end...)

Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:

Homework Statement

The two headlights of a car require a total of 10 A supplied at 12 V. Given that the combustion of 1 L of gasoline releases 3X 10^7 J and that the conversion to electrical power has an efficiency of 25%, how much gasoline is consumed in one hour for this purpose alone?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I'm not sure if what I did is right since I don't have the answers..but here I go:
-I first found the power by multiplying I X V...10 A X 12 V =120 W
-then I multiplied 120 W by 3600 seconds (an hour) to turn the answer into Joules...in this case 432000 Joules.
-Then I multiplied this by 0.25 to get 108 000 Joules.
-After this, I set a ratio with 1 L and 3X10^7 Joules with 108000 Joules and the unknown amount of gas. And I got 0.0036 L...
Is how I did it correct (i'm not really sure about the 25% part and the ratio part at the end...)

You did the wrong thing when it comes to using the 25%. You found that 432KJ are needed to supply 10A at 12V for one hour. Regardless of the efficiency of the gas burning to provide this energy, that energy MUST stay the same. Otherwise, you won't have 10A drawn through the headlights with 12 V across them.

What you need to do is say .25 * gas_energy = headlights_energy. All this is saying is only 25% of the burning is actually supplying power to the headlights. The rest is lost. So all you need to do is divide by .25 instead of multiply and then finish the problem the same way you did.

Related to Solving Ohm's Law & Power Homework: Gasoline Consumption in 1 Hour

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

How do I apply Ohm's Law to solve for gasoline consumption in 1 hour?

In order to use Ohm's Law to solve for gasoline consumption in 1 hour, you will need to convert the given values into electrical measurements. Gasoline consumption can be represented as current (I), time (t) can be represented as voltage (V), and miles per gallon (MPG) can be represented as resistance (R). Then, you can use the formula V=IR to solve for current (I), which will give you the gasoline consumption in 1 hour.

What is the unit of measurement for gasoline consumption?

The unit of measurement for gasoline consumption is typically miles per gallon (MPG). This represents the distance traveled (miles) on one gallon of gasoline. However, in order to use Ohm's Law to solve for gasoline consumption, you will need to convert MPG into an electrical unit of measurement, such as ohms.

What other factors can affect gasoline consumption besides resistance?

While resistance plays a significant role in gasoline consumption, there are other factors that can also affect it. These can include the type of vehicle, driving habits, road conditions, and weather. Additionally, the age and condition of the vehicle can also impact gasoline consumption.

Can Ohm's Law be applied to other types of fuel consumption?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be applied to other types of fuel consumption, as long as the values are converted into electrical measurements. For example, for diesel consumption, you can use the same formula V=IR by converting liters per hour (L/h) into an electrical unit of measurement, such as ohms. However, keep in mind that the resistance value may vary depending on the type of fuel being used.