Solving optimum Bézier approximation of a circle

In summary, Mathematica found 7 solutions for the quintic equation. The first solution was -3.45296, the second was 0.366686, the third was 0.518404, the fourth was 0.347233-1.1646i, the fifth was 0.347233+1.1646i, and the sixth and seventh solutions were 0.556569-0.00384123i and 0.556569+0.00384123i, respectively.
Adlibber
I am trying to determine the optimum length of the control vectors for a cubic Bézier approximation of a $90^\circ$ circular arc. However to my limited mathematical mind the equation cannot be solved algebraically. Wolfram Alpha even finds it too complicated. However I am told that it IS solvable! I remain unconvinced.

Can anyone spot a way of simplifying this monster?

\begin{align*}
&\left(u_\mu^6+(\textstyle\frac{1}{2})^6\right)(18\kappa^2-24\kappa+8)+\left(u_\mu^5+(\textstyle\frac{1}{2})^5\right)(-54\kappa^2+72\kappa-24)+\\
&\left(u_\mu^4+(\textstyle\frac{1}{2})^4\right)(63\kappa^2-66\kappa+18)+\left(u_\mu^3+(\textstyle\frac{1}{2})^3\right)(-36\kappa^2+12\kappa-4)+\\
&\left(u_\mu^2+(\textstyle\frac{1}{2})^2\right)(9\kappa^2+6\kappa-6)=0\\
&\text{where }\;\;u_\mu=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{12-20\kappa-3\kappa^2}}{4-6\kappa}
\end{align*}

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you look at these equations, you will see that it is at least a quintic in $\kappa$. Quintics are not, in general, solvable exactly. You can solve the quadratic exactly, and the cubic exactly, and even the quartic exactly. But not the quintic. Abel and Galois proved that. However, there are specific quintics that you can solve. I'm going to give this problem to Mathematica, to see if it will solve it. Stay tuned...

...Mathematica chickens out, and gives the answers using the Root function - basically telling you that it couldn't find the roots exactly. Mathematica does give one interesting piece of information: there are at least 7 solutions. Now, if I ask for approximations to these roots, Mathematica gives me the following:
\begin{align*}
\kappa_1&= -3.45296\\
\kappa_2&= 0.366686\\
\kappa_3&= 0.518404\\
\kappa_4&= 0.347233-1.1646i\\
\kappa_5&= 0.347233+1.1646i\\
\kappa_6&= 0.556569-0.00384123i\\
\kappa_7&= 0.556569+0.00384123i.
\end{align*}
The complex solutions come in conjugate pairs, as you'd expect if all the coefficients are real.

If Mathematica can't solve it exactly, I don't think you're going to be able to solve it exactly.

Thanks very much for your response and effort, Ackbach. Good to know that simple intuition still has value!

I must assume that whoever found the correct value (0.551915024494) did so using a more clever route than I chose. Although I did find a method that gave a 96% result (but not a 100%!).

Last edited:

Related to Solving optimum Bézier approximation of a circle

1. What is a Bézier curve and how is it used to approximate a circle?

A Bézier curve is a mathematical curve widely used in computer graphics and related fields. It is defined by a series of control points that determine the shape of the curve. To approximate a circle using Bézier curves, a special type of curve called a "circle Bézier" is used. This involves setting the control points in a specific way to mimic the shape of a circle.

2. Why is it important to solve optimum Bézier approximation of a circle?

The optimum Bézier approximation of a circle is important because it allows for more accurate and efficient representation of circles in computer graphics. It also plays a key role in designing smooth and visually appealing curves in various applications.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of Bézier approximation of a circle?

The accuracy of Bézier approximation of a circle is affected by the number and placement of control points, as well as the degree of the Bézier curve. Generally, the more control points used, the closer the approximation will be to a perfect circle.

4. How is the optimum Bézier approximation of a circle calculated?

The optimum Bézier approximation of a circle is calculated using a mathematical algorithm called the "Least Squares Method". This method involves minimizing the sum of the squared distances between the control points and the actual circle, resulting in the most accurate approximation.

5. Can Bézier approximation of a circle be used in other applications besides computer graphics?

Yes, Bézier approximation of a circle can be used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and animation. It is also commonly used in the design of fonts and logos, as well as in 3D modeling and CAD software.