Solving Oscillating Mass Displacement Problem: Max Velocity Calc

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass suspended from a spring and calculating the maximum velocity of the mass during its vibration. The suggested approach is to use Hookes law and conservation of energy, taking into account the effects of gravity and the displacement of the mass.
BusyEarning
i know this problem is posted on this forum somwhere else but i can't quite understand thanks in advance

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.3 kg is suspended from a spring of stiffness 200 N m–1. If
the mass is displaced by 10 mm from its equilibrium position and
released, for the resulting vibration, calculate:

the maximum velocity of the mass during the vibration

Homework Equations

F=kl

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i am thinking that i need to use hookes law as follows so i can get the amplitude
F=k(l+x)

F= mg = 0.3 kg x 9.81 = 2.94 N
k = 200 Nm-1
l = static spring reflection = 2.94/200 = 0.01
x = displacement due to external force = 10mm

so the amplitude would be l + x = 10.01mm?

do i need to take into account the extra extension when attempting the solution or is it just f/k =l
or do i need to use f/k = l + x to calculate the amplitude

any help would be appriciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The oscillations are around the equilibrium position, not the unstretched length.
Remember you have gravity as well as the string acting on the mass.

I would use conservation of energy for this problem.
For instance, at the top of the motion, the energy stored in the spring has been changed into gravitational potential energy.

Related to Solving Oscillating Mass Displacement Problem: Max Velocity Calc

1. What is an oscillating mass displacement problem?

An oscillating mass displacement problem refers to a situation where a mass attached to a spring is subject to periodic motion, resulting in a displacement from its equilibrium position. This type of problem is commonly encountered in physics and engineering.

2. How do you solve an oscillating mass displacement problem?

To solve an oscillating mass displacement problem, you can use the principles of harmonic motion. This involves using equations such as Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the mass at any given time.

3. What is the maximum velocity in an oscillating mass displacement problem?

The maximum velocity in an oscillating mass displacement problem occurs when the mass passes through its equilibrium position. At this point, the velocity is at its highest and is equal to the amplitude of the motion multiplied by the angular frequency.

4. How do you calculate the maximum velocity in an oscillating mass displacement problem?

To calculate the maximum velocity in an oscillating mass displacement problem, you can use the equation vmax = Aω, where A is the amplitude of the motion and ω is the angular frequency. Alternatively, you can also use the equation vmax = √(k/m) * A, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass.

5. What are some common applications of solving oscillating mass displacement problems?

Solving oscillating mass displacement problems is useful in understanding and designing systems that involve springs and masses, such as pendulums, vibrating systems, and shock absorbers. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture.