Solving Part B of a Homework Problem Involving Principal of Moments

In summary, the book says that the force at BC should be 290N, but the student's solution calculated using moments gives a force of 250N. They are not sure if they have missed something or if the solution in the book is assuming the lateral force on AB is also taken into account.
OnlinePhysicsTutor

Homework Statement

Please see attached picture

Homework Equations

principal of moments
IMG_3477.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

part a) is fine. For part b, I would Normally take moments about C. The force acting on BC at B must be the tension in AB. The geometry of the triangle gives and angle of 53.1 to the horizontal, and moments gives a force of 250N. However the solution in my book says 290N at and angle of 43.6 degree to the horizontal, so I'm not sure if I have missed something, taking into account compressive tension along BC doesn't seem to work. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming that the force at BC is along the line BA? That would give you 53.1o, but is not necessarily the case.

kuruman said:
Are you assuming that the force at BC is along the line BA? That would give you 53.1o, but is not necessarily the case.
edit; I assume the book answer is taking into account some lateral force also on AB, but I don't see how I would calculate that.

Look at rod BC. What would the forces acting on it look like? How big a vertical component do you have at B acting on rod BC? Rod BA would have an equal amount acting on it at B but in the opposite direction (Newton's 3rd law). Now, if you can find the horizontal component on BA at point B, you can find the tangent of the angle that you are seeking without any assumptions about its value.

Likes OnlinePhysicsTutor
OnlinePhysicsTutor said:
edit; I assume the book answer is taking into account some lateral force also on AB, but I don't see how I would calculate that.

Draw a FBD of rod BA and demand that it be in equilibrium, just like you did for the entire triangle. You know (or should be able to figure out) all but the lateral force.

On edit: Don't forget there is a force with a vertical and horizontal component at point A as well.

I get it now, thank you. I did moments on AB, gives a lateral force of 210N, which then works out to give the answer in the book.

Related to Solving Part B of a Homework Problem Involving Principal of Moments

1. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments.

2. How can I apply the principle of moments to solve a homework problem?

To solve a homework problem involving the principle of moments, you will need to identify the forces acting on the object, determine their respective distances from the pivot point, and use the equation: Force x Distance = Force x Distance. This equation represents the principle of moments and can help you find the unknown values in the problem.

3. Is there a specific technique for solving part B of a homework problem involving the principle of moments?

Yes, the most common technique for solving part B of a problem involving the principle of moments is to use the concept of torque. Torque is the product of a force and the distance at which it is applied, and it can help you find the unknown force or distance in the problem.

4. Can I use the principle of moments for any type of object or system?

Yes, the principle of moments can be applied to any type of object or system as long as it is in equilibrium. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the object or system is equal to zero, and the sum of all the moments is also equal to zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of the principle of moments?

The principle of moments is used in many real-life situations, such as balancing a see-saw, using a crowbar or wrench to loosen a bolt, and even in building structures like bridges and cranes. It is also essential in understanding the stability of objects and structures.