Solving Partial Differential Equation using Crank-Nicolson Method in MATLAB

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, The conversation discusses the solution of a partial differential equation using MATLAB. The equation is of the form dy/dt = d2y/dx2 + 2/x * dy/dx - 4y, with boundary conditions of dy/dx(0,t) = 0, y(1,t) = 1, t>0 and an initial condition of y(x,0) = 0. The goal is to find a solution that differs from the stationary solution by no more than 5%. The conversation also mentions using the Crank-Nicolson method in MATLAB and suggests starting with a simpler problem to gain a better understanding of the method. The conversation ends with a discussion of a script that may work well
electronic engineer
Hello,

i'm willling to solve partial differential equation of the form:

dy/dt = d2y/dx2 + 2/x * dy/dx - 4y

where d here means partial derivation of course.

boundary conditions are: dy/dx(0,t) = 0, y(1,t) = 1, t>0

initial condition is: y(x,0) = 0;

(x,y) is position and t is time.

and t should be also chosen so as the solution doesn't differ from the stationary solution more than 5%, where the stationary solution is the one who is independent on time t.

Can you please give me some hints on how to start or think about this problem? I need to build some code to solve this equation using matlab.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Have you already programmed the Crank-Nicolson method in matlab? You can then play around with it and get a feeling for what's going on and how the stepsize changes the long-term solution. You could post the code here if you have problems getting it running, it should be like 20 lines or so, but please also add comment lines if you post it.
Have you already found the exact solution of the steady-state problem? You need this to compare your numerical solution at t=large.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I haven't programmed it in MATLAB yet. But I'm not familiar how to solve it generally and how to hav the final formula for the solution so then i would start programming. The main is how to get it resolved. That's the point.

You could start with the analytic solution of the steady-state equation. I guess you followed some 'Intro to ODE's' course, so you can first put dy/dt=0 and solve the linear second order ODE. The theory is explained in books like the one from Boyce and DiPrima, 'Elementary Differential Equations...'

Do you have any experience with MATLAB or numerical methods? If not, I would start with a simpler problem,
y'(x)=y(x), y(0)=1 on x=[0,1]

Solve the problem analytically and then solve it numerically using the forward Euler method: y(x+1)=y(x)+dx*y'(x)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_method , see the example

y(0)=1, dy(0)=y(0);
y(0.01) = y(0)+0.01*dy(0)

and check the numerical solution with the exact solution.

The Crank-Nicolson method is a combination of the forward and backward Euler method:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank–Nicolson_method

Thank you for the reply Bigfooted.

I'm familiar with the numerical methods. I have applied the crank-nicolson relation so after many corrections I had some formula. But still I'm confused about how to move forward. Or maybe I don't remember verywell when it comes to more difficult tasks. I'll keep trying!

electronic engineer said:
Thank you for the reply Bigfooted.

I'm familiar with the numerical methods. I have applied the crank-nicolson relation so after many corrections I had some formula. But still I'm confused about how to move forward. Or maybe I don't remember verywell when it comes to more difficult tasks. I'll keep trying!
You are aware that you need to discretize the differential equation into finite differences in the spatial direction to obtain a set of coupled first order ODEs, correct?

Chestermiller said:
You are aware that you need to discretize the differential equation into finite differences in the spatial direction to obtain a set of coupled first order ODEs, correct?

yes, so what are you aiming to?

Last edited:
yes, so what are you aiming to?
If this is the case, it isn't clear to me what your difficulty is in applying Crank-Nicholson to solve a set of coupled first order linear ordinary differential equations. Can you articulate what you are having difficulty with?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If this is the case, it isn't clear to me what your difficulty is in applying Crank-Nicholson to solve a set of coupled first order linear ordinary differential equations. Can you articulate what you are having difficulty with?

Chet

I will tell you, I applied Crank-Nicholson directly to solve the second order..as some examples i read in some textbook but the examples were solved there in a completely different way that's way i had problem.. I'm familiar with the idea that you said but not sure how to apply it to this concrete example!

I will tell you, I applied Crank-Nicholson directly to solve the second order..as some examples i read in some textbook but the examples were solved there in a completely different way that's way i had problem.. I'm familiar with the idea that you said but not sure how to apply it to this concrete example!
Was the example in your book a single ode or was it also a set of coupled odes?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Was the example in your book a single ode or was it also a set of coupled odes?

Chet

the example was a single ode!

the example was a single ode!
So then, is your question, "How do I apply this to a set of coupled odes?"

It's very hard to help you if you don't reveal your difficulty in sufficient detail.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
So then, is your question, "How do I apply this to a set of coupled odes?"

It's very hard to help you if you don't reveal your difficulty in sufficient detail.

Chet

I would prefer to use the set of coupled odes as was in the example of my textbook. But it can also be any method that make the solution easier so i don't really know! If it's less difficult to solve it by single ode then i would go for it also. I'm not sure which one can go work better for this example.

You are of course right. I'm trying to study many materials in order to be more oriented in this. I was following some way but then a block stood in the way.

Related to Solving Partial Differential Equation using Crank-Nicolson Method in MATLAB

What is the Crank-Nicolson method?

The Crank-Nicolson method is a numerical method for solving partial differential equations (PDEs). It is a finite difference method that uses a combination of the explicit and implicit methods to approximate the solution to a PDE. It is named after mathematicians John Crank and Phyllis Nicolson.

How does the Crank-Nicolson method work?

The Crank-Nicolson method works by taking the average of the explicit and implicit methods to approximate the solution to a PDE at each time step. This results in a more accurate approximation compared to using either method alone.

What are the advantages of using the Crank-Nicolson method?

One advantage of the Crank-Nicolson method is its second-order accuracy, which means that it converges to the exact solution at a faster rate compared to first-order methods. It is also unconditionally stable, meaning that it can handle a wide range of time steps without causing the solution to become unstable.

In what types of problems is the Crank-Nicolson method commonly used?

The Crank-Nicolson method is commonly used in problems involving diffusion, such as heat transfer, as well as in problems involving wave propagation, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetics. It is also used in financial modeling and option pricing.

Are there any limitations to the Crank-Nicolson method?

One limitation of the Crank-Nicolson method is that it requires the PDE to be linear and have constant coefficients. It also becomes computationally expensive for problems with high spatial dimensions. Additionally, it may introduce numerical diffusion, which can affect the accuracy of the solution.